Driveline work

vwgtiturbo

I'm debating replacing a carrier bearing and U-joints when I (eventually) put an OME kit on my '05 (150k+ miles) and was wondering... From a bit a reading on the process, it looks like a few folks take their joints and driveshaft to be balanced? What necessitates a rebalancing of the driveshaft? I assume it's the addition of new, possibly unbalanced, U-joints?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Whenever I've replaced u-joints I've never had to rebalance my driveshaft. Marking the driveshaft/yoke so they're replaced in the same position as removed is helpful. To my knowledge u-joints are not balanced.

Whenever I've replaced u-joints I've never had to rebalance my driveshaft. Marking the driveshaft/yoke so they're replaced in the same position as removed is helpful. To my knowledge u-joints are not balanced.
Thanks for the info. I thought it was odd, as anytime I've done classic cars, I've never had to rebalance. Since this is my first truck (that I've had zero issues with in 13 years), I thought maybe it was different (especially considering my old Firebirds/GTOs don't have carrier bearings LOL).

If your current u-joints are greasable then make sure the new u-joint zerks are in the same position on the driveshaft as they were removed.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was odd, as anytime I've done classic cars, I've never had to rebalance. Since this is my first truck (that I've had zero issues with in 13 years), I thought maybe it was different (especially considering my old Firebirds/GTOs don't have carrier bearings LOL).
Only time we've ever sent a driveshaft to be balanced was when the driver was somewhere he wasn't s'pose to be and ended up hitting the driveshaft thus bending it. Even then balancing might not work and replacing with a new one is needed.

Only time we've ever sent a driveshaft to be balanced was when the driver was somewhere he wasn't s'pose to be and ended up hitting the driveshaft thus bending it. Even then balancing might not work and replacing with a new one is needed.
That makes sense... My baby certainly shouldn't have that issue! Well... I WAS deployed for over a year, so maybe I should ask my son LOLOLOL.

Back