E85 fuel freaking out

I’ve driven my new 3015 Tacoma 2500 miles on E85 ... have I caused irreparable damage ?! Sick!!

• Ruined

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Recoverable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i listened instead reading ,,, have a 2015 Tacoma and have been using E85 for 2500 miles ,,, yes,,, I’m an idiot ,,, so worried I’ve done damage ,,, what Can I do besides switching to better gas ,,, have I caused irreparable damage?!
How Can I fix ,,, drain it and refill? Put a cleaner in?

Last edited:
i listened instead reading ,,, have a 2015 Tacoma and have been using E85 for 2500 miles ,,, yes,,, I’m an idiot ,,, so worried I’ve done damage ,,, what Can I do besides switching to better gas ,,, have I caused irreparable damage?!

U don ****ed up

Last edited:
@Crawdad Nothing appears to be wrong,,, no engine knocking and running okay. I’m going to siphon the current full tank out and refill with the high octane ( my initial thinking) ,,, but would also putting an additive in help clean out the engine? I read in another post adding something called StaBil marine fluid would help reverse possible affect of E85. Thank you for help.

What I don’t understand is how you fill your tank up 10+ times and not notice. How does that happen? I could see once maybe twice but 2500 miles.
Did you notice a gas mileage decrease or a difference in drivability?
What caused you to finally realize... oops?

@whippersnapper02 ,,, damage to fuel line and injectors “compromised” after 2500 miles? Is the “compromise” reversible? ,,,if I do as stated above ,,, siphon tank ,,, use highest octane from here forward and put in fuel cleaner? Thanks for help..,

What I don’t understand is how you fill your tank up 10+ times and not notice. How does that happen? I could see once maybe twice but 2500 miles.
Did you notice a gas mileage decrease or a difference in drivability?
What caused you to finally realize... oops?
Gas mileage decrease,,, and I’m new to the Tacoma world ,,, listened to a long time Tundra owner ,,, and the alarm bell in my head got louder ,,, always rushing kinda life ,,, but today ,, checked mpg again and the bell went off and I looked for myself ,,, ... mad at myself for listening and not doing my own research. Stupid.

Gas mileage decrease,,, and I’m new to the Tacoma world ,,, listened to a long time Tundra owner ,,, and the alarm bell in my head got louder ,,, always rushing kinda life ,,, but today ,, checked mpg again and the bell went off and I looked for myself ,,, ... mad at myself for listening and not doing my own research. Stupid.
Well don’t be to hard on yourself. We don’t know until we know. At least you figured it out. Did you tell your Tundra friend? I owned a 2007 Tundra until I bought my 2017 Tacoma would not have crossed my mind to put E85 in. At least is wasn’t diesel.

My wife did one tankful to her Malibu and went batcrap crazy on ME!! Like it was my fault?!?!?! Anyway, talked to service manager at her Chevy dealership and he suggested using SHELL gasoline for a tank or two as it has the most detergent to clean everything out quickly.

May try the SHELL for a few tanks, if it is available near you. Good luck!

Lets see: 2500 miles at 20 MPG = 125 gallons. 125/20 gallon tank(?) = 6 + tanks full NOT terrible if my math is close.

Well don’t be to hard on yourself. We don’t know until we know. At least you figured it out. Did you tell your Tundra friend? I owned a 2007 Tundra until I bought my 2017 Tacoma would not have crossed my mind to put E85 in. At least is wasn’t diesel.
Yes,,, I did.

@whippersnapper02 ,,, damage to fuel line and injectors “compromised” after 2500 miles? Is the “compromise” reversible? ,,,if I do as stated above ,,, siphon tank ,,, use highest octane from here forward and put in fuel cleaner? Thanks for help..,

May be compromised. Cleaners and high octane fuel won’t do anything because the high ethanol content eats away at the rubber not rated for it.

Fill with 87 and drive on.

My wife did one tankful to her Malibu and went batcrap crazy on ME!! Like it was my fault?!?!?! Anyway, talked to service manager at her Chevy dealership and he suggested using SHELL gasoline for a tank or two as it has the most detergent to clean everything out quickly.

May try the SHELL for a few tanks, if it is available near you. Good luck!

Lets see: 2500 miles at 20 MPG = 125 gallons. 125/20 gallon tank(?) = 6 + tanks full NOT terrible if my math is close.
That’s if you get 20mpg and run the tank to 1.1gal of fuel. I wouldn’t suggest running the tank that dry. A 2015 is rated 16 city 21 hwy not many people achieve that. Not many people run 20gal before filling up either probably closer to 16-17 gallons.
Let’s see: 2500/16mpg =156.25 gal
156.25/17 gallons used= 9.19+ so 10 fill ups. (+ = another fill up)
So let’s say somewhere between 7-10 more fill ups of E85 than we all would recommend.

Haha, stop freaking, not like you pumped diesel into a gas burning truck or vice-vera, we don't have ,,what do you call it ? E85 ? Is that the ethanol heavy fuel ? Regardless, if you've suffered no real ill effects other than a little zip on the gas pedal or taken a hit on the mileage I wouldn't sweat it , BUT you should just start using standard 87oct re integrating it back into system , get some tonight or tomorrow & it doesn't have to be a full tank , just start diluting whats in there, you'll be fine, whip is right about degrading the seals but this would be from longer term use I'd think...just my $.02...

OR17TRD - I was just guessing with my estimates!!! No idea what MPG rating and tank size he had........I had the general idea right, tho, didn't I??

OR17TRD - I was just guessing with my estimates!!! No idea what MPG rating and tank size he had........I had the general idea right, tho, didn't I??
I was giving a quick estimate on 10 tanks in the post before you wanted to do math to get 6+. So I thought I would do math too.:) Not trying to upset you and cause you to use !!!
You also said “if my math is close” I thought that meant you wanted someone to check it. :(

What the heck is “E85” fuel and is that found in the PNW???

What the heck is “E85” fuel and is that found in the PNW???

It’s clearly marked E85, uses a separate nozzle and I believe the nozzle is yellow. It’s a higher ethanol content fuel that is cheaper but more is needed to make the same power. It will destroy the rubber seals and lines of fuel system on a vehicle not made for it’s use and you will be down on power without the proper calibration for it.

Back