EASY $3 Console Tray (make at home)

mrproduxn

I have been watching Amazon and Ebay, for months, considering purchasing a console tray to keep my needy stuff on top of my not-so-needy stuff. I just couldn't see the prices of $10 or more for something so inexpensive to make. I have bought several cheap trays and tried to modify them to fit to no avail. I finally came up with a simple and useful tray for just over $2.50. Here is the list.
DollarTree sells a 6.5" x 6.5" x 2" deep plastic tray for $1. HomeDepot sells aluminum angle 3/4" x 1/2" x 1/16" thick x 36" long for around $4.50 (this is enough length to make 3 trays). Will need 4 each phillips head 6-32 or 8-32 screws x 1/4"-3/8" long which you may already have in your hardware drawer. I also used some narrow 3m double sided tape but is not needed. Cut 2 lengths of aluminum to 6" long. I placed 3m tape underneath the 3/4" wide side up in the corner. Deburr and polish the cut ends of the angle. Then polish the underside of the 3/4" width so it is very smooth. Place the 1/2" angle down inside the tray against the side wall. Push the 3/4" down tight against the top side of the tray to adhere the tape. Once both sides are taped in place flip it over on a flat surface and hold pressure on it to guarantee the tape sticks and both angles are flat on the same plane. Now drill 2 each pilot holes through the angle and plastic. Install screws. Repeat for 2nd angle. If you have a small cell phone you may want to take a razor knife and cut a channel for your charger cord. That's it. Simple, cheap and functional. NOTE 1st picture was a test fit before adding screws. Paint top of alum black if you like.
2016 2017 2018 console tray.jpg View attachment 14209 View attachment 14210 View attachment 14213

Attachments

• 3 dollar tray 3.jpg
    3 dollar tray 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • 3 dollar tray2.jpg
    3 dollar tray2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • 3 dollar tray1.jpg
    3 dollar tray1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • 3 dollar tray charger slot.jpg
    3 dollar tray charger slot.jpg