ECGS Removal Tool

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by tacotaco88, Feb 3, 2019.

1. tacotaco88

tacotaco88 Member

What UPpppp!
    So this weekend I installed the clamshell from East Coast Gear Supply. I had the hardest time removing but install was a success. The actual piece that sets behind the needle bearing was super tough to get in and was afraid at one point that it would break cause I was laying into with a brass hammer n pry bar. I would also like to add that I had to shave and round off sides , going back and forth checking if I could take more off an get it in. So just a heads up it may be easy or difficult 50/ IMG_3067.jpg 50

B-Man likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Did you use the removal tool from ECGS?

B-Man likes this.
  4. OP
    tacotaco88

tacotaco88 Member

Yes I did. Have you done this install before ? It already sounds like it was easier for you

B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  5. OR17TRD

No I was just trying to figure out why it was so difficult. What year Tacoma?

B-Man likes this.
  6. OP
    tacotaco88

tacotaco88 Member

2001 4WD

7. OP
    tacotaco88

tacotaco88 Member

The outer edges of the flange thingy that sits behind the needle bearing were way to large to fit through easily. So I pulled out my dremel and rounded corners/ sides little by little checking to see that I wasn’t taking to much off so the piece would still rest on the diameter of the needle bearing

OR17TRD likes this.
  8. OR17TRD

Sounds like a PITA. I haven’t seen to many 1st gens do this mod. Lots of 2nd and 3rd gens have the needle bearing issue. I didn’t know the 1st gens had the plague.

9. Boss_Taco77

Boss_Taco77 Well-Known Member

I’ve done it and it wasn’t too bad took me about a hour and a half. It was hard to get back into the diff though. I also shaved it a little to get it in. I still have a small buzz around 65/70 but it is way better than it was

tacotaco88 likes this.
  10. OP
    tacotaco88

tacotaco88 Member

What year is your truck? I will post a pic of what mine looks like after the shaving and final knock in

OR17TRD likes this.
  11. Boss_Taco77

Boss_Taco77 Well-Known Member

My truck is a 2010. I did put a little bit of grease on the outside before taping it back in with a mallet

OR17TRD likes this.