Ecm

So your ECU isn't messing up it is telling you something is messing up. Yes a bad cat can cause a CEL. Reading up I have found that a P0420 can be cause by an exhaust leak. P0606 might go away with an ECU reset.

I suggest a dealer trip to because their code reader will give you specifics of what's going on. You are looking at $100 just for them to diagnose the issue though. Cutting the cat out won't solve the issue.

Changing the cat might fix the issue. They aren't cheap though but they might be covered under an emissions equipment warranty. I don't know the exact details but I believe the cats are covered for a longer duration than the truck.

You don't need a new ECU.

P0420 is bank 1 related. Like whipper said could be caused by an exhaust leak, lazy air fuel ratio sensor (o2) or a plugged cat, rich condition usually caused by the lazy o2 or exhaust leak telling the downstream sensor that it has too much air (lean condition)

There are so many things that can cause a cat code a misfire bad mass air vacuum leak air/fuel sensor pcm get in and check your data stream and see if the rear air/fuel sensor voltage jumps and matches the front this is going be the cat if it does but the most common ive seen at work with yotas is a air/fuel sensor and it a lot cheaper than a cat also if it is the cat before replacing it unplug a coil and go drive the dog piss out of it that can a lot of times relight a cat clear the code and retest

Back