Electrical Problem

Will Evans

Hi Guys, I am new on here and I wanted to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue with their truck.

I have a 2006 Tacoma TRD Double Cab Long Bed

For the past few days I could smell a plastic burning. I figured it was the resistor on my fan speed control since I have been having problems with it for the past year.

This morning on my way to work a bunch of indicator lights flashed (see picture) My ECU light, Parking Brake, ABS and the Rear Differential Lock are all on and the Fan will not work, even on High. Also my Fuel Gauge is not reading steady, The low fuel light comes on and goes off.

Anyone else ever had a similar issue and can point me in the right direction? I am thinking I am going to have to take it into the dealership.

Any help is much appreciated,

Will

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have a pretty good electrical short. You can pull off the dash and look around to see if it’s visible but if you’re not prepared to to rerun there’s not a lot you can do. I’d probably take it to the dealership or a qualified shop before there’s more damage.

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have a pretty good electrical short. You can pull off the dash and look around to see if it’s visible but if you’re not prepared to to rerun there’s not a lot you can do. I’d probably take it to the dealership or a qualified shop before there’s more damage.

Thanks for the input! I did an OBDII scan and I got the P0500 code, which is a wheel speed sensor. Is it possible this harness is shorting out? I can see how it would cause some of the indicator lights to turn on but confuses me as to how the fuel gauge would jump up and down as well as the blower motor stop working. Any chance you could direct me to a good source for wiring diagrams??

Thanks again!

Will

Thanks for the input! I did an OBDII scan and I got the P0500 code, which is a wheel speed sensor. Is it possible this harness is shorting out? I can see how it would cause some of the indicator lights to turn on but confuses me as to how the fuel gauge would jump up and down as well as the blower motor stop working. Any chance you could direct me to a good source for wiring diagrams??

Thanks again!

Will

The mess up of so many systems has me thinking that you have a bigger problem than just a wheel speed sensor. That wouldn’t explain all of the issues.
Here’s some diagrams for the 2006 Tacoma.

https://www.autozone.com/repairguid...al-Wiring-Diagram-2006-1/_/P-0996b43f80378c3d

Hey Guys, so I checked the fuses and I blew #31. When I see all the systems that run on it, it makes sense as to why I got the indicator lights that I did. Now I need to find out what caused the fuse to blow. I think the AC Compressor Clutch has crapped out. The AC light is flashing. Think that could cause the fuse to blow?

Thanks for the help!

Will

Hey Guys, so I checked the fuses and I blew #31. When I see all the systems that run on it, it makes sense as to why I got the indicator lights that I did. Now I need to find out what caused the fuse to blow. I think the AC Compressor Clutch has crapped out. The AC light is flashing. Think that could cause the fuse to blow?

Thanks for the help!

Will

From what I have seen the fuse just blows randomly. I've been lucky and never had one blow.

From what I understand, the AC light flashing means the compressor RPM and engine RPM don't match. Could be belt slippage.

Well I bought a set of fuses and and after blowing a few it seems to be from the Blower Motor. It was working on the front vents but when I turned it to the windshield the fuse blew right away. Do you think this is the motor? The poor connection on the resistor? Guess I will have to take it apart and find out!

Well got this problem sorted out;
So the AC Compressor Bearing completely failed. It caused the shaft on the compressor to rotate eccentrically and that eventually wore down the solenoid coil on the clutch enough to short it out whenever the AC was turned on.
Took it to the Dealer and $2100 later my truck is running again. OUCH

So the AC Compressor Bearing completely failed. It caused the shaft on the compressor to rotate eccentrically and that eventually wore down the solenoid coil on the clutch enough to short it out whenever the AC was turned on.
Oh man that’s a bill you don’t want to get. At least you got it fixed. Cheaper than a new Tacoma.

Wow. That’s a steep bill but at least it’s taken care of.

Back