Electrical Problem

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Will Evans, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Will Evans

Will Evans Active Member

Hi Guys, I am new on here and I wanted to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue with their truck.

I have a 2006 Tacoma TRD Double Cab Long Bed

For the past few days I could smell a plastic burning. I figured it was the resistor on my fan speed control since I have been having problems with it for the past year.

This morning on my way to work a bunch of indicator lights flashed (see picture) My ECU light, Parking Brake, ABS and the Rear Differential Lock are all on and the Fan will not work, even on High. Also my Fuel Gauge is not reading steady, The low fuel light comes on and goes off.

Anyone else ever had a similar issue and can point me in the right direction? I am thinking I am going to have to take it into the dealership.

Any help is much appreciated,

Will

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Bogunn likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good electrical short. You can pull off the dash and look around to see if it’s visible but if you’re not prepared to to rerun there’s not a lot you can do. I’d probably take it to the dealership or a qualified shop before there’s more damage.

4. OP
    Will Evans

Will Evans Active Member

Thanks for the input! I did an OBDII scan and I got the P0500 code, which is a wheel speed sensor. Is it possible this harness is shorting out? I can see how it would cause some of the indicator lights to turn on but confuses me as to how the fuel gauge would jump up and down as well as the blower motor stop working. Any chance you could direct me to a good source for wiring diagrams??

Thanks again!

Will

5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

The mess up of so many systems has me thinking that you have a bigger problem than just a wheel speed sensor. That wouldn’t explain all of the issues.
    Here’s some diagrams for the 2006 Tacoma.

https://www.autozone.com/repairguid...al-Wiring-Diagram-2006-1/_/P-0996b43f80378c3d

6. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

I’d also check fuses. Some owners have had weird lights solved by a single fuse.

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Never hurts to start simple.

8. OP
    Will Evans

Will Evans Active Member

Hey Guys, so I checked the fuses and I blew #31. When I see all the systems that run on it, it makes sense as to why I got the indicator lights that I did. Now I need to find out what caused the fuse to blow. I think the AC Compressor Clutch has crapped out. The AC light is flashing. Think that could cause the fuse to blow?

Thanks for the help!

Will

9. whippersnapper02

From what I have seen the fuse just blows randomly. I've been lucky and never had one blow.

From what I understand, the AC light flashing means the compressor RPM and engine RPM don't match. Could be belt slippage.

Bogunn likes this.
  10. OP
    Will Evans

Will Evans Active Member

Well I bought a set of fuses and and after blowing a few it seems to be from the Blower Motor. It was working on the front vents but when I turned it to the windshield the fuse blew right away. Do you think this is the motor? The poor connection on the resistor? Guess I will have to take it apart and find out!

11. whippersnapper02

The blower motor resistor is an issue with these trucks. They sell the wiring harness and resistor as a kit on amazon and ebay.

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  12. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Sounds like you’re getting closer to a fix.

13. OP
    Will Evans

Will Evans Active Member

Well got this problem sorted out;
    So the AC Compressor Bearing completely failed. It caused the shaft on the compressor to rotate eccentrically and that eventually wore down the solenoid coil on the clutch enough to short it out whenever the AC was turned on.
    Took it to the Dealer and $2100 later my truck is running again. OUCH

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  14. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Oh man that’s a bill you don’t want to get. At least you got it fixed. Cheaper than a new Tacoma.

15. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Wow. That’s a steep bill but at least it’s taken care of.