Element change on Tacoma? What is that!?

WildlifeChick

I have a 2017 Tacoma and took it in yesterday to have the 6 month oil change (which is free for life) but I was looking at the print out...and it said element change $42. What is that? I didn't pay for it or anything but curious. I'm used to changing my own oil with the filter and oil but is this something new?

It’ll be a filter of some sort. A filter “element”. Probably the oil filter in this case.
You don’t see it referred to as that very often but the element is referring to what the filter actually uses to filter with I.E. paper, polyurethane foam, etc.

It’s no longer a spin on filter for the new trucks. Just the filter medium (element) is changed inside a filter housing.

I know it’s fine but I’m still having a hard time getting used to the idea of changing “filter medium” instead of a true oil filter.
Too many years with an actual standard filter I guess. Sometimes if it isn’t broke it doesn’t need fixed, in my opinion. I’m sure there’s some necessity behind it I’m not aware of but I’m not a big fan.

You break the drain plug loose, insert a plastic piece into the housing so it drains, then remove the lower part of the housing. A special service tool is needed for the housing but it can be found pretty much anywhere. Don’t forget to swap the o rings!

full

full

full

I know it’s fine but I’m still having a hard time getting used to the idea of changing “filter medium” instead of a true oil filter.
Too many years with an actual standard filter I guess. Sometimes if it isn’t broke it doesn’t need fixed, in my opinion. I’m sure there’s some necessity behind it I’m not aware of but I’m not a big fan.

Had you purchased a derzul you would know how to change this type already. Shame on you! :D

You break the drain plug loose, insert a plastic piece into the housing so it drains, then remove the lower part of the housing. A special service tool is needed for the housing but it can be found pretty much anywhere. Don’t forget to swap the o rings!

full

full

full

Had you purchased a derzul you would know how to change this type already. Shame on you! :D

No doubt! Wasting my time on the gasoline motors. Should of had a “derzul” all along! All these years wasted.
I don’t haul goose neck trailers. No need for a diesel. The option is nice for those that like them and if Toyota offered it in the US it would sell a lot of trucks.
The thought of a derzul just don’t turn my clock.

The auto industry did't start using canister filters until the mid 1950's. They are just going back to,the good old days.

I own a 2017 Tacoma SR-5 double cab 4x4 3.5l V-6..

I never have anyone change my oil since a local Toyota dealer forgot to re-tighten the oil filler cap on my 2002 Tundra ( back in the early 2000's). My brother had a deal charge him extra during one of those "life-time" free oil changes during a recent visit with his 2015 4-Runner. He now does his own oil and filter service. You could do this service yourself for under 42 bucks. Just buy your oil at a local Walmart and use the OEM filter element. Just purchase the cap filter wrench (motivtools cap wrench designed for toyota oil filter service)... Lots of videos on Youtube showing how to change the oil on a 3rd Gen Tacoma.

Honestly, a very easy job!!

index.jpg

Back