Engine Chugging while Coasting

Will Evans

Hi Guys,

When driving my truck around 80-90km/h and if I let off the gas and begin to coast, the engine starts to make a chugging like noise. Also, I have been getting about 80% of my usual mileage. I have had the vehicle for about 30,000 miles and have not changed the spark plugs and that is what I believe is the issue. My truck also seems a bit more sluggish than usual.

Has anyone ever ran into a similar issue? Any input is appreciated.

Will

Hi Guys,

When driving my truck around 80-90km/h and if I let off the gas and begin to coast, the engine starts to make a chugging like noise. Also, I have been getting about 80% of my usual mileage. I have had the vehicle for about 30,000 miles and have not changed the spark plugs and that is what I believe is the issue. My truck also seems a bit more sluggish than usual.

Will

spark plugs can’t not be the problem. Take it to the dealership and let them look at it. I have never change spark plugs under 50k miles , always at 100k and no problems.

Hi Guys,

Will

Sounds like you need a general tune up maybe. But that’s the beauty of a warranty. Take it to the dealership before your bumper to bumper is up.

Well I got the truck when it had 170K on it and now i'm up to 225K. I think the sluggishness is a separate issue. My Check Engine light came on and I got the P0420 code. I believe the driver side catalytic converter is partially blocked from the temperature test I did. There is about a 150°F difference between the inlet and outlet on the catalytic converter.

I honestly think it's my drive shaft causing the vibrations. I've had issues with it before and after soaking it in SeaFoam the truck rode incredibly smooth. I lubed the U joints as much as possible but it did not help this time. Right now it still does the harmonic vibration in OD @ 1400-1800 RPM when on a decelerating coast (letting of the gas) between 80-100km/h. There also seems to be more of a steady vibration when at constant speed in the 90-110km/h range.

Two more months until I get my frame replaced. Maybe I should replace the drive shaft too? How can I tell if its worn out?

Will

Last edited:
Back