Engine Light?

nuketaco

Had a low restriction muffler installed 2 weeks ago. I put in the K&N cold air induction system last weekend. Saturday I bought a locking gas cap and put it on. Wednesday morning when I started it, both the check engine light and the traction control light came on and won't go off. Checked the K&N connections. Took off the gas cap and then cranked it back on to make sure it was on tight. Also pressed the traction control button a bunch....the light stays on. The one thing I didn't do was disconnect the battery when I put in the K&N cuz I didn't want to lose all my radio settings. Whadaya think? :unsure:

The traction light always comes on with the CEL. I suggest finding out what code is being thrown. The K&N hot air intake might be the issue. Usually the filters come with way too much oil on them so the oil will get onto the MAF sensor. Get a can of MAF cleaner and start cleaning. I also suggest cleaning and re oiling the filter. You should only apply enough oil to make the filter appear light red.

Last edited:
Thanks Whip. My small town doesn't have a Toyota dealership so I'm taking her to Auto Zone to find out the code. It freaked me out when the trac control light came on too. I will clean the sensor.

The dealer would havw charged like $100 just to read the code. I parts store will usuly let you borrow the code reader in the parking lot.

Emissions. I didn't disconnect the battery when I installed the K&N. I didn't want to lose all my electronic settings. Now I'm thinking I need to unhook it to reset the airflow settings. The instructions didn't say why you disconnect so I just figured it was a safety thing. I was just careful not to ground out any connections when they were unplugged.

Had the same problem with my 2002 Toyota Tundra Sr5 V8...

Emission Code=New Factory gas cap

Back