Engine oil?

HokieMan

Ok...so the owners manual list either 0w20 or 5w20 and the filler cap on my 2010 Tacoma says 5w30. So what are you guys using?

The lower the "W" number the better the oil's cold temperature/cold start performance is. If you live where it's colder you can use 0w-20 where it's warmer use 5w-30. Some people run 0w-20 in the winter months and 5w-30 in the summer. I personally would just run the same year round if you're not living where there is extreme temp changes from season to season. Pick one and stick with it.

I always go with manufacturer recommendations.
The way I always saw it was that they designed the motor and are responsible for the warranty work so they will recommend what's best for the motor.

I always go with manufacturer recommendations.
The way I always saw it was that they designed the motor and are responsible for the warranty work so they will recommend what's best for the motor.
That's just it....I'm seeing 3 manufacturers recommendations. 0w20 or 5w20 in the owners manual and 5w30 on the filler cap. I've been playing it safe and going 5w20.

IMG_1565.jpgIMG_1566.jpgIMG_1567.jpg

For gen 3 Tacoma's 0W-20 is recommended.
For gen 2 Tacoma's 0W-20 is recommended for the 2.7 liter and 5W-30 is recommended for the 4.0 liter.
Per the owner's manual you can swap 10W-30 for 5W-30 in a 4.0 liter but they recommend 5W-30 at the next oil change. And 5W-20 can be swapped for 0W-20 but the next oil change is recommended to be 0W-20 again.

Pretty simple. Run what the factory tells you. I like synthetic but just make sure it's the correct viscosity.

Back