Exhaust rust prevention

detulio3

I live in New England and we get snow and there is salt put down on the roads. With my new exhaust im wondering how I can treat my exhaust for this to prevent rust.

A few years back, CRC made a cold galvanize in a spray can. On a whim, I bought a can and sprayed the exhaust on my Ford F150 zero performance gas guzzler that was suffering from the beginning of rust..that light orange hue that shows before the real rust comes to visit. Two years later I sold the truck and the buyer was amazed by how good the exhaust looked.

I'm not sure of two things. First, if the product sold today ( if it is still sold) is the same as in 1991, and two, if the coating will hold up to the super heat of the exhaust on the newer vehicles (from the emission controls and super lean fuel mix). If you want to try a can, it only cost me back in 91 around $6.

I wiped the cold exhaust off with straight alcohol, let it flash off and sprayed everything. There was no real rust or any dirt to contend with.

A few years back, CRC made a cold galvanize in a spray can. On a whim, I bought a can and sprayed the exhaust on my Ford F150 zero performance gas guzzler that was suffering from the beginning of rust..that light orange hue that shows before the real rust comes to visit. Two years later I sold the truck and the buyer was amazed by how good the exhaust looked.

I'm not sure of two things. First, if the product sold today ( if it is still sold) is the same as in 1991, and two, if the coating will hold up to the super heat of the exhaust on the newer vehicles (from the emission controls and super lean fuel mix). If you want to try a can, it only cost me back in 91 around $6.

I wiped the cold exhaust off with straight alcohol, let it flash off and sprayed everything. There was no real rust or any dirt to contend with.
Ok thank you for your response. Appreciate it

I use the flat black heat paint for wood stove from rustoleum .and refresh it whenever I'm under the truck.I go on the beach so I'm washing it alot and touching up underneath .I'm on the cape and out on sandy neck .

Last edited:
Back