Exhaust system

Bigislandrock

Bigislandrock
Im new to the forums and i havent completely researched it for exhaust topics, anyone know which afyermarket cat-back exhaust system to go with? Magnaflow,Flowmaster or TRD are my 3 options. Im not a heavy pedal hihhway driver but like it low-and-slow when off-roading. On one article ive read online some aftermarket exhausts makes you lose low-end torque. Im running 33's on my 4.0 DCLB and want to know if i'll notice any changes... Thanks

If you do a lot of aggressive trail riding, go with a turndown exhaust. Magnaflow make the offraod pro which has a turndown tip right from the muffler underneath the truck.

In my opinion you could get any performance muffler and swap it out with your stock muffler and add a turndown tip on the outlet pipe of the muffler. Same thing. The benefit with the turndown at the muffler will prevent any damage from rocks and debris that may catch a typical exhaust tip behind the rear wheel. I have dual 18 in tips behind the rears (love the look) and if I were to hit a steep approach, it would scratch them up or even tear them right off. I'll run these until they rust and I may just cut pipes and run a turndown.

You can lose low end torque when there is too much flow, not enough back pressure. For example people run a pipe too large for the engine output, like 3in or larger, very unnecessary. Stay with a 2 or 2 1/2 in pipe and you wont have that problem. You probably wont notice any changes, but it may feel like there is with the increase resonance from the aftermarket muffler..."sounds" like it's performing better.

Last edited:
As far as noise (mean sounding, not a whiny car sound) whats the best exhaust? I heard TRD is a decent noisemaker.

It all depends on your definition of a "mean" sound. Like whip said the 4.0 doesn't get you much for sound. I have a borla...it's like magnaflow without the rasp.

Thats what ive kept in mind too "sound" im not a big fan of loud throaty mufflers but like the low moan sound. Ive leaned towards the Magnaflow but instinct is pulling me to the TRD because wouldnt Toyota know their engines performance best? My stock exhaust seems to be doing ok but iʻll never know the difference. Highway ive still got decent power pulling my 33's but i havent loaded up my bed yet like i do when i take my family camping.

Cool vid Whipper.. The other thing we have to keep in mind here on the Big Island is our new safety check laws. They measure noise levels from aftermarket exhaust. You drop $300 into a new exhaust we better hope it passes..

Just swap the muffler then so the loss isn't too big if it doesn't pass. Also you won't really feel much of a change when changing the exhaust. The stock piping is mandrel bent and the muffler flows well.

I have been looking into exhaust for my truck. Any recommendations for for a 2.7 4 banger? Will the TDR fit a regular cab four cylinder or are they just for the v6? Any thoughts on headers? Thanks

The TRD will fit with mods. I personally have not heard anything that sounds good on the 4 bangers. Search sound clips and pick something out.

Last edited:
Thank whipper, i think i will try out the drop-in. If not impressed or no real difference, back to the stock filter iʻll go.

Im new to the forums and i havent completely researched it for exhaust topics, anyone know which afyermarket cat-back exhaust system to go with? Magnaflow,Flowmaster or TRD are my 3 options. Im not a heavy pedal hihhway driver but like it low-and-slow when off-roading. On one article ive read online some aftermarket exhausts makes you lose low-end torque. Im running 33's on my 4.0 DCLB and want to know if i'll notice any changes... Thanks

you won't notice much of anything unless you get a baffled flowmaster, which will choke your engine

I'm running an 18" magnaflow with a custom pipe reroute, so that my exhaust still passes safety but is out of the way of rocks

I really like mine. not too loud, but loud enough to notice when you want to be, and no cabin noise

you can see my rerouted pipe here
1661425_10203469869973340_2024794553_n.jpg

edit:
oops, just noticed OP is a 2nd gen. I'm not sure if you can reroute the 2nd gen exhaust the same way, but either way, I dig the hell out of my magnaflow...and it was like $50 from amazon free shipping

also just noticed you're local to me. Howsit, I've probably seen your truck around haha

Last edited:
you won't notice much of anything unless you get a baffled flowmaster, which will choke your engine

I'm running an 18" magnaflow with a custom pipe reroute, so that my exhaust still passes safety but is out of the way of rocks

I really like mine. not too loud, but loud enough to notice when you want to be, and no cabin noise

you can see my rerouted pipe here
1661425_10203469869973340_2024794553_n.jpg

edit:
oops, just noticed OP is a 2nd gen. I'm not sure if you can reroute the 2nd gen exhaust the same way, but either way, I dig the hell out of my magnaflow...and it was like $50 from amazon free shipping

also just noticed you're local to me. Howsit, I've probably seen your truck around haha

Hey Kona, I'm just curious on how you upload these amazing quality shots? Do you go through website or app?

Hey Kona, I'm just curious on how you upload these amazing quality shots? Do you go through website or app?

They way Nate has the pic post is kind of weird... I can't post anything from flikr or certain sites

All of the ones I've been posting I've had to host on other sites like FB

this one came from FB. It'd be higher quality if I could get to my flikr here

Hey Kona, yup kamaaina. Probably see u too. About the muffler swap, i checked mine out and its a straight one-piece from the cat-back. Everything from that bolt on to the muffler is welded. I think its not a DIY swap. Gonna have to get the muffler shop to install.

I like the idea of having the exhaust tip shortened and pointed downward. Maybe just behind the axle. The Trd exhausts are $$$$$, so maybe the Magnaflow will be a better option. Thx!

Hey Kona, yup kamaaina. Probably see u too. About the muffler swap, i checked mine out and its a straight one-piece from the cat-back. Everything from that bolt on to the muffler is welded. I think its not a DIY swap. Gonna have to get the muffler shop to install.

I like the idea of having the exhaust tip shortened and pointed downward. Maybe just behind the axle. The Trd exhausts are $$$$$, so maybe the Magnaflow will be a better option. Thx!

Amazon has em for a good price, free shipping too

Might wanna check with your safety guy about what'll pass, mine told me he wouldn't safety it if it didn't exit the body (which is kinda BS, but...)

I had mine done at kona muffler down in the old industrial
GOPR0166_zps84925629.jpg

Back