Extended warranty for your Tacoma

Joisey

For those who have an extended warranty on their Tacoma thru the dealer, could you please tell me the name of the company that the extended warranty is thru?

I went to the dealer where I bought the truck last July for some info on an extended warranty on my Tacoma. I THOUGHT the warranty would be thru Toyota Corporation. The warranty information that they gave me was thru a company called Portfolio. I had to insist on getting a brochure on what the extended warranty covered.

It was like buying a new vehicle all over again. Asking price for the 7 year/100K is $1695 and for the 6 year/75K is $1195 plus tax. The guy acted like I was supposed to jump on these GREAT price

No problem! Happy to help. It says here that if it's not possible to contact the dealer that sold it to me I can contact the Administrator at Toyota claims prior to repairs428BC6E5-1FF4-4070-88AF-1295E578879D.jpg

Thank you. Do you know if you have to buy the extended warranty from the dealer that sold you the truck. My dealer is an A hole..

Thank you. Do you know if you have to buy the extended warranty from the dealer that sold you the truck. My dealer is an A hole..

I'm not really sure on that but since it's through Toyota I would assume you can buy it through any dealer or Toyota directly. I'd call that toll free number and see if you can talk to someone about it. I wasn't a fan of the dealer I went to either so when it's time for my service I'm going to call that number and see if I can take it to a different Toyota dealer.

Only reason I bought my truck at Beaver Toyota, "yeah that's the real name" was because of the free warranty they offered.

I could have probably got a better deal in Jax, where they actually got my truck, but I wanted the warranty. Gotta pay $100 deductible after 50K miles.

i-8X53qF8-XL.jpg

From what I understand you can buy the extended warranty any place at any time. I've asked a few times and I'm now 6k over and they still don't have an issue buying it since I continue to take it into Toyota regularly.

That warranty is the reason this truck will be the first vehicle I've ever owned that I won't do my own oil changes on.

Asked the sales dude about doing my own maintenance and warrant issues. He said as long as I keep the receipts of the oil and filters I "shouldn't" have any problems.

I'll pay for them to do an oil change once a year to keep from falling into a dreaded gray area.

OK, I spoke to Toyota Credit (they handle the Toyota extended warranty) just a few minutes ago.

Here is what I learned.

1. THERE IS NO SET PRICE FOR THE TOYOTA EXTENDED WARRANTY. The dealer sells the warranty for what they can get. The guy from Toyota recommended getting at least 3 quotes before buying an extended warranty.

2. Not all Toyota dealers sell the Toyota extended warranty. Some sell other warranties only, some sell the Toyota warranty AND other warranties.

3. YOU DO NOT have to buy the extended Toyota warranty from the dealer that sold the vehicle to you. You can even buy the Toyota extended warranty from a different state.

4. The Toyota extended warranty is good in any state of the US.

5. You can buy the warranty at any time before the end of the 36th month of ownership or 36K miles.

Another thing I learned. The dealer that I bought my truck from pushed the Toyota extended warranty when I purchased the truck. Now they don't have the Toyota extended warranty. Seems the manager and service manager were bilking the company and Toyota pulled their right to sell the Toyota extended warranty. Some people went to jail I hear.

Last edited:
Only reason I bought my truck at Beaver Toyota, "yeah that's the real name" was because of the free warranty they offered.

I could have probably got a better deal in Jax, where they actually got my truck, but I wanted the warranty. Gotta pay $100 deductible after 50K miles.

i-8X53qF8-XL.jpg
Nice this is a confident warranty

I got my truck from a Honda dealer and they offered extended warranty for 4 k I said no he ended up coming down to about 1200 bucks .I still said no .I did not know it was something you could still haggle over but it is possible ! :). Who knew !

Nice this is a confident warranty

Yeah, but I'm worried about doing my own oil changes...I've never in my life had someone change my oil.

I asked the sales dude about it, and he said if I kept all my receipts when I bought my oil and filters I "shouldn't" have a problem.

I only drive about 10K miles a year, so I'll just let the dealership do them to keep from falling into a gray area.

Back