first generation frame issues

patriotfarmerwi

I have looked at a few first gen Tacoma's and liked them a lot, but I'm worried about frame issues. Will it really be a problem? I live in WI if that makes a difference, and the ones I've looked at are asking a good amount, so the frames should be OK right? Thanks in advance

Before you buy any of those trucks, get up under them and examine the frame, if it has any sign of rust or cracking or anything like that I would think twice before buying it

X2

Some of the frames on those 1st gens didn't get a good coating of corrosion protection. I know.....I had a 2000 PreRunner that Toyota bought back due to frame rot just this past Dec. I was lucky and had the letter from them extending the frame warranty for 15 yrs. All I had to do was show the dealer the letter. 3 weeks later they cut a check for Bluebook + 1/2. Rated in excellent condition. This is a pic of what happened to it. Driver side rear leaf.
Rest of truck was in great shape....frame rotted out from under her.

Attachments

• S1050274.jpg
    S1050274.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 24
X2

Some of the frames on those 1st gens didn't get a good coating of corrosion protection. I know.....I had a 2000 PreRunner that Toyota bought back due to frame rot just this past Dec. I was lucky and had the letter from them extending the frame warranty for 15 yrs. All I had to do was show the dealer the letter. 3 weeks later they cut a check for Bluebook + 1/2. Rated in excellent condition. This is a pic of what happened to it. Driver side rear leaf.
Rest of truck was in great shape....frame rotted out from under her.

Why did you trade it in?!?! A little duct tape and bondo would of fixed that :)

Very true. 4x4 and a stick. Toyota did me right. They basically bought me a newer truck with less miles. I made a 8k profit over what I paid for the PreRunner when I got it in 2002. So I wasn't hurt any just inconvenienced until I could find another one. Got the drivetrain I wanted just not the color, but I'm still good with it. I shopped for 3 weeks everyday, the bad part was it was around xmas time so Taco's were flying of the lots. Working full time days didn't help. And I needed transportation. I had the free loaner Taco for 3 weeks, they took it back when they cut the check. I had to rent for 10 days waiting for the check to clear. Found the truck a week prior to the check cutting. So put $500 down when I went to test drive. Paid it off 10 days later. Haven't looked back, I'm happy with the upgrade :thumbsup:

Love it! I hadn't driven a stick since '94 and at the time I was having issues with my left leg so figured a stick might help....4 spinal injuries and broken left ankle and both feet in the past. Was having severe cramps in left calf after working all day on my feet. So much so I couldn't walk after I got home. And I was right the clutch gives me the exercise I needed to eliminate the cramps. My leg feels 100% better now, stronger. Granted, I wasn't sure it would work but it has worked out for me. Doc is glad I'm off all the pain meds I was taking for that past year prior to buying the truck. So am I, I feel better.

I have no complaints with it, took a little while to get use to the shift points, alot different than the 4 speed in my Chevelle. But good to go now. I found the happy medium that gives me decent mpg.

Frames rusting yes, but no buy back/fix that I've heard of. As it was they replaced the frames on 01~04, bought back 95~00 from what I understand.
Anyway we totally jacked this thread and I'm ready for bed. Catch up with you later. Have a good night.

No need to be sorry, kinda funny. We kinda stayed on topic. Have a good one! :thumbsup:

Sinse I am looking for another 1st gen Tacoma a Big thought struck me.

Once some of these Tacoma’s had the rust protection done in the early recalls, just how good is that protection!
Anyone really know for sure?

Is it going to last 10 or 20 years or maybe 2 or 3 !!!

I plan on doing a lot of mods to the one I will be getting and I wouldn't want to dump a load of money into it if it's not going to last. I haven't heard anyone question this so I figure it is a major issue.

Now I have been hearing that some of the 2nd gen Tacoma’s are experiencing the same rust problems !

What is the "Best" undercoating methods, what’s it cost, what kind of guarantee do we get?

According to one of the major manufacture of a rust preventative product.

The product will only last 2 to 3 years and cost several thousand to apply professionally.
They recommended going to local body shops and see what they want to have it done.

'tis been 10 years later...
And toyota, and dana have yet do much to improve the longevity of these tacoma frames. Dealers will tell you toyota has done their share, but its still up to you to do your part keeping them rust free.

i hosed the salt and winter slop out of the wheelhouses regularly during winters to protect the body panels from rott like they did in those old days
nobody told me about ANYTHING about underneath it all, just the rubbery dealer undercoating is all the truck had!

Back