first tacoma a few ?????????

1blkc4

Just bought my first tacoma today after having s10's all my life what a nice truck . The truck has 150k and runs and drives great after driving 40 miles with it . I want to change the automatic transmission fluid to amsoil along with all fluids . I went to firestone near my house and they said they wouldnt touch it . I was thinking of draining it a few times to try to get most of the fluid out what do you guys think ? Looks like the distributer o ring need to be changed any tricks ? The truck is a 1997 2.4 auto ext cab . It sounds like the exhaust manifold or the gasket has a small leak is this a common problem ?

Last edited:
Has the tranny every been flushed or fluid changed? I would check the color of the fluid, to tell if you should mess with it or not. And welcome!

I just have a question, not knowing the answer.

How come not change the oil entirely when it's that old? What's the logic?

This is a sincere question, not sarcasm. I really don't know why. Curious.

Ill try to explain it the best I can, you should get your tranny flushed every 50k miles, which completely clears it out and fills it with new. If you let your tranny run for 100k miles with no flush, the fluid gets a little grity. And that grit in the fluid is what holds the transmission together, and it will work fine for a while. But if you were to get it flushed at 100k there wouldn't be any of that grit left, then the tranny is now no good and the car won't move at all. This has happened to my brother before when he was flushing a customer cars at 115k miles (he tried to talk them out of it but they insisted) as soon as he was done the car wouldn't even move out of the shop.

I tried to set up an appointment to get my tranny flushed at the dealer. I'm at 53,000 miles now and want to get this done when I should. They tell me that the brand in my model Tacoma is called "World Class" fluid and doesn't need to be flushed until 100,000 m. REALLY? then the said they didn't have the equipment to do a tranny flush...at a dealer. REALLY?

Has anybody else heard the same things from other dealers? I think it's a load of bull...

Dealers don't know what they are talking about, just go find another well respected shop around and have them do it. I would always have it done at 50k miles not matter what fluid

That's what figured. The way he presented himself leads me to believe he had no clue... Just punches numbers all day. I have a pretty reputable shop that specializes in tranny work so I'll probably get it done there. Don't want to wait much longer

I just got done changing my transmission fluid it looked terrible I drained and refilled 3 times the fluid looks red again and seems to shift alot better I will drive around on this for a while then probally do it one more time .After changing the motor oil and trans fluid the truck runs alot better man whats up with the oil filter location ?? very messy . The next project is dealing with some sort of exhaust leak maybe the exhaust manifold gasket or donut any past experiences ??

Back