First Tacoma

Welcome. I got my 14' last July,. The first week I had it, I sitting my truck with the key on accessory and the lights were on (unknown to me at the time) for a couple of hours and when I went to start the engine, no go. I learned that you have to turn off the light when sitting in it with the key on.
That happened to you too? If so, it's not a problem, just gotta remember to turn them off.

Welcome. I got my 14' last July,. The first week I had it, I sitting my truck with the key on accessory and the lights were on (unknown to me at the time) for a couple of hours and when I went to start the engine, no go. I learned that you have to turn off the light when sitting in it with the key on.
That happened to you too? If so, it's not a problem, just gotta remember to turn them off.
curious indeed ;)

I actually have had good luck with many brands, from Interstate to walmart.
If you change the type of battery, not brand, but type, you will likely need to reset your charging system settings to charge it properly.
I actually wrote a lengthy post on the topic a few months ago on here.

Hey b.c., you seem to know a bit 'bout our batteries. Do you have a recommendation for our next battery, type or amperage?

Personally I would get a napa, interstate, yuasa, or Walmart battery. If you have a flooded cell type, nothing wrong with them, and just getting another one. If you want to spend a bit more, and IMHO get a better battery type, try an AGM type. You will likely need to update your alternator/regulator settings, or have a shop do it, any Toyota dealer, or reputable battery seller can do it in 5 minutes for you...or if you google your specific truck, there is a good chance the information exists on the internet to do it yourself. Many vehicles have a youtube video made on the how to, it really is not hard. If you want further help, let me know what exactly you have, year, engine, transmission etc. And I can help you look for a Do It Yourself tutorial.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! My name is Mike and I just purchased a 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 and love it. I am needing to replace my battery and am wanting to know what everyone would suggest?
Welcome to the forum! I'll be changing to a Group 35 battery (probably Northstar or Odyssey) when I do a dual-battery setup.

$169 for a battery?!.. Wow.. I know, times have changed but that's a LOT! (Insert old man voice here..) Back in the Good ole days, we used to get them from Auto Zone for $39 for the regular DuraLast and $59 for the DuraGold.. where did 1986 go?.. ;)

Back