Frame rust settlement 2005-2010

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by nhmort, May 24, 2017.

1. nhmort

nhmort Member

From what I understand, the frame rust settlement verdict is done as of May 21.

I'm curious how this is going to pan out with us.

It says that they will replace the frame if it's perforated of 10mm or more.

And rust proofing for certain states. I'm in MN, so I'll get it.

My frame is extremely rusted, that it's flaking huge chunks off of it. There's a rust trail on my garage floor the entire length of the frame.

IMG_2712.JPG

I'm curious what I'll be getting done.

Will we get a letter from Toyota? I assume we will.

I'll let you guys know if I receive any correspondence from Toyota.

Thanks

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 858_tacoma_guy

858_tacoma_guy Well-Known Member

If Toyota does not settle with you I suggest you hire an attorney.

Garrick likes this.
  4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Im sure it's going to take some time for toyota to get the logistics worked out. I would be proactive and contact them if you don't hear anything by the end of June.

5. OP
    nhmort

nhmort Member

I just saw that in June, appeals were filed I assume by Toyota. So this is going to delay things again.

6. OP
    nhmort

nhmort Member

Update, took my truck into the dealership, my frame failed. (Surprise, I live in Minneapolis, the salt capital in the winter)

They’re going to replace my whole frame. But they are about two months out.

They have one guy at the shop and that’s all he does. It takes about 7-10 days. That doesn’t sound cheap for Toyota.

I’m glad it’s going to happen though.

7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Good to go.

8. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

That's awesome!

9. OR17TRD

Woot woot!!!

10. cookie47

cookie47 Well-Known Member

Seems like they haven’t solved the problem yet either. My 2015 looks like hell already

11. Garrick

Garrick Well-Known Member

Really? Any pics of your ‘15? I’m curious since my 2015 doesn’t seem to have any more surface rust than I would expect (though I don’t live in an area with harsh winters anymore, but they do overdo it with the salt at the slightest hint of snow or ice here in Northern VA).

12. cookie47

13. kp.taco

This looks like very minor surface rust. I'm guessing the frame looks a lot worse than this??? Post pics of the frame

Bogunn likes this.
  14. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Those Bilstiens have some pretty wicked surface rust for a ‘15. The rest looks like normal wear/rust, but a little severe for a 3 year old truck. Do you live in an area with a lot of salt? Wash your truck rarely?

15. kp.taco

So I was at the dealer Saturday getting a key cut and had frame inspection while I was there. All checked out good which I knew it would. They said they do not apply rust protection coating in my area and don't even have it in stock.. what is best to coat my frame with for rust protection.?

16. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

POR 15. It brushes on and isn’t all messy. IMO it’s better because you don’t have to rattle can it on and risk overspray onto somewhere you don’t want it. There’s all kinds of stuff I’ve seen people do over the years with homemade concoctions but this is easy and tough.

IMG_1814.JPG

justinkeatts, OR17TRD and kp.taco like this.
  17. kp.taco

I'm gonna look into this. Thanks @Bogunn. Yeah I was trying to avoid a spray because of overspray. Don't want it to look awful.

Bogunn likes this.
  18. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

No problem buddy

19. OR17TRD

Oooo semi glossy

Bogunn likes this.
  20. cookie47

How much does it take? lol they’re proud of that shit

21. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Not a whole lot. Just give it a good coat. It doesn’t have to be sopping off of it.