Frame Rust with Gen 3 Tacomas??

BigMau

Just received a noticed (Customer Support Program Notification) in the mail concerning frame rust on Toyota Tacoma (2011-2017). This notice comes with a card that you place in your glove box and comes with additional coverage for 12 years from the date of first use (DOFU). I live in NE Pennsylvania and drive a 2017 Tacoma SR5 double cab 4x4 3.5l v-6. Anyone here receive the same paperwork??

Attachments

• IMG_0507[1].JPG
    IMG_0507[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 135
Just received a noticed (Customer Support Program Notification) in the mail concerning frame rust on Toyota Tacoma (2011-2017). This notice comes with a card that you place in your glove box and comes with additional coverage for 12 years from the date of first use (DOFU). I live in NE Pennsylvania and drive a 2017 Tacoma SR5 double cab 4x4 3.5l v-6. Anyone here receive the same paperwork??
I got the same notice.

No not yet live in Wisconsin. Owned for 8 mo wir 26000 on it with no rust. I did pay the dealer for a complete underbody coating though. It looks like a bed liner under there.

Well..
Stopped in at my local dealer and they told me just to keep it in the glove box with the owner's manual. This paperwork indicated that will extend the corrosion warranty on the frame.

Mine was built in Mexico. The interesting thing... the replacement frames were made in Mexico for my 09 Tacoma. DANA corp. Parish press made the org. frame for my 02 Tacoma and I believe my 09 Tacoma.

I haven’t received a notification yet. Arkansas is where I bought mine and live.

States effected by frame corrosion are DC,CT,DE,IL,IN,KY,MA,MD,ME,MI,MN,NH,NJ,NY,OH,PA,RI,VA,VT,WI,WV. You have 2 years to get your frame coated in CRC if not they wont warranty any repairs and if you have aftermarket accessories they truck must be put back to stock for frame to be replaced. Frame warranty is extended to 12 years. Bret

They applied that CRC coating to the frame of my 2002 Tundra. What a mess... nasty looking stuff and they took the bed off to do this job.

Anyone buying a used Tacoma needs to find out where it was sold/driven! CarMax I’ve heard is good about swapping north/south vehicles.

Anyone buying a used Tacoma needs to find out where it was sold/driven! CarMax I’ve heard is good about swapping north/south vehicles.
Its not only carmax, anyone buying used needs to be cautious, a lot of used car lots are buying from auctions, mostly out of state. Thats how a lot of flood vehicles wind up back on the road. Due to different laws in different states the vehicle history doesn't always follow the vehicle. Buyer beware.

Yes I got one a few months ago . when the dealer sprayed that coating on my 03 tundra cuz it still had a good frame ( I wash my trucks all the time )it only stayed on a few months and it was gone ! I don't know what they use but it didn't do squat to protect .so I sprayed the frame with rustoleum truck bed liner :) Did the same with my taco 6 cans to be exact!

I suggest using a product called Woolwax to prevent rust. It's similar to Fluid Film but more viscous so it lasts longer. It also has less odor. You can purchase a set of three cans with a 360 degree tip extension for less than 40 dollars. That's all you should need to cover all of the steel under your truck. I recommend spraying the spare tire cable while you're at it.

Back