Front brakes pads

nikita2015

Having trouble with my tacoma 07, the ebrake is to low and the brake pedal travel is too low as well. Dealers says within specs but truck is not stopping properly. I feel that after they installed one of those "lifetime brakes" package my truck is not breaking well. They checked it twice and insist everything is fine, but hey, who knows better than the one who drives it every day uh?
I need advise about a good kit to replace disks and pads. Please help!

Thanks.
nikita2015

At times when you install new breaks they feel differently. This could be for reasons of different compounds in pads, fluid condition after mixing old and possibly new, or even just the feel of new brakes before they fully break in. I would never say they are wrong or you are wrong, because like you said, you know your truck. I will say give it a few, unless you feel it is totally unsafe, in that they are not operating correctly.

One of the reasons they can feel sponge like is the dealer not going through the Bedding of the pads into the new rotors. If you look this up its a series of stops from slow speeds, moderate speed, and highway speed they never give you a particular speed number for each of them. Your not to stop completely between each of the speed levels. Then wherever you are after the higher speed you do need to stop and park with the truck off for 15-20 mins. Not many shops or people do this I'm told! I did when I installed my new calipers, rotors , pads and fluid .

I had to break in my new pads the same way. My buddy who is a certified TRD Toyota tech, also suggested doing extreme stops and what not to seat your new pads. On an 07 tho, your rear brakes are drum. You may need to use your parking brake in order to have the drum spring tighten itself as it should. This spring is in place for wear over time and may need to be set.

Flush completely and bleed all four brakes real good with 4-5 pints with any major brand DOT3 Synthetic Brake Fluid, I used AMSOIL DOT 3 and Flushed extra to get all old and cheapo brake fluid 1st time and flush again with same but only need 3-4 pints DOT3 Brake Fluid Synthetic AMSOIL every 30,000 miles since new!stops hard on a dime, and not spongy,and just using OEM Toyota Ceramic pads in front rears are due about 60-70,000 mile? Try TRD Ceramic pads if you want better,thats what I am doing next time! Frt and Rear !TRD !

Back