Front differential drop spacer on 3" lift

Bsl1706

Is the front differential drop spacer needed on a 3" lift actually needed. I've been told it's not dsm and icon but I watched a video on YouTube an it showed it being installed. What has everyone done either way?

Front diff drops rotate the front diff in such a way that gear lube is moved away from the pinion bearing. Also they do just about nothing to correct CV angles.

Is the front differential drop spacer needed on a 3" lift actually needed. I've been told it's not dsm and icon but I watched a video on YouTube an it showed it being installed. What has everyone done either way?

It helps your CV shafts from having too much angle. It's not as helpful as on first gens but it does help. However it leaves the diff lower so you'll have to use the (included) spacers to drop your(stock, thin) skid plate as well to make room for it. If you wheel any at all the diff is more exposed to rocks etc... which could be disasterous. Personally I think I'd rather replace CVs and or needle bearings rather than a diff.
I had the diff drop ( which put the CVs parallel to the ground like stock), but I removed it to make room for an aftermarket skid plate. I haven't noticed any new vibes etc...

I have not used one personally but I have seen pictures of the differences and there was almost nothing. This was on a 2nd gen.

I wish I had taken pics, but I have fins touching now after I took off the drop spacer. Before they were all but parallel to the ground. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro drop:laughing: because of the issue I posted about it leaving the diff vulnerable and the issue you posted about it not oiling properly, but it does make a difference in the angles.:)

CV boot issues is one of the reasons I limited my lift to 1.5-2 inches with the other being limited downtravel. I don't have any CV issues. If I want more lift I'll be getting LT and possibly RCV axles.

I've compared 5 sets of 2nd gen diff drops before/after

and measured a nada difference 5/5

the only reason im running one is I threw mine on before i saw the light, and am one lazy mofo. lol

I've compared 5 sets of 2nd gen diff drops before/after

and measured a nada difference 5/5

the only reason im running one is I threw mine on before i saw the light, and am one lazy mofo. lol

I guess I'm either blind or a liar then. So you've measured five diff drops with no difference huh? Really?

Last edited:
I guess I'm either blind or a liar then. So you've measured five diff drops with no difference huh? Really?

on all 5 the change was negligible. Same level spot for each
im not throwing names, just stating what i've seen.

were you on level ground before/after?

First you said nada difference. Now you say negligible. That's debatable, but to come out and say nada difference 5/5 is calling me a liar.

Just throwing my two cents in but putting my lift in actually made my cv boot angles better! To be more accurate looking at the before and after picture that was included in my instructions, after I put my lift in it the cv angles looked like it should IF I installed the diff drop to. It ultimately comes down to that it depends on the truck

I would install it and see if there is any difference positive or negative. When i was more into trucking about 15 years ago IFS kits scared me because of the CV angles those kits back then had. I loved my straight axle. Alot of guys had concerns with their CV's wearing out. They'd crank their coils and max it out. I wouldnt know about ride quality.

On my Taco the lift kit has the drop brackets installed to level my CV's IMO i like that look and i dont do hard core long travel off roading so this set up suits my needs. Im more concerned now with my front driveshafts angle but its not to bad.

If those spacers are easy to install id go ahead and do it. If nothing changes or you just prefer otherwise just un-install.

First you said nada difference. Now you say negligible. That's debatable, but to come out and say nada difference 5/5 is calling me a liar.

Or, it means that your experience and my experience with diff drops differ.

I honesty give less than a damn about you/your diff drop, certainly not enough to start name calling and throwing insults.

I was just throwing my .02 out, that IMO diff drops are worthless.

IMHO, if you wheel the truck hard, all it actually does is increase damage possibility

IMO Looks to me like this guy hit too big of a rock to fast, with or without diff drop he would have messed some stuff up! I could take it or leave it, but mine is in and will probably stay in...

Regardless of how hard the dude hit, there would be less damage without ghe diff drop. I smashed in the front crossmember nipple and destroyed my stock skids. If I would have had the diff drop I would have been in the same situation as that guy.

1zlywdj_zpsyl1xuddj.jpg

Last edited:
Back