Fuel pump?

DesertTan16

Sometimes my truck has no power literally from a stop and go at an intersection if I rightfully would cross and had a red light runner sometimes my truck couldn't get out of its own way. But some days runs great. But when I have this low power it usually sputters during the acceleration slightly, and gradually builds up power. Could this be a bad fuel pump or a pump going bad?

Sometimes my truck has no power literally from a stop and go at an intersection if I rightfully would cross and had a red light runner sometimes my truck couldn't get out of its own way. But some days runs great. But when I have this low power it usually sputters during the acceleration slightly, and gradually builds up power. Could this be a bad fuel pump or a pump going bad?
wouldn't be the fuel pump, when a fuel pump fails the truck will just stop running like out of gas, you can also turn the ignition to the ON position and hear the pump operating if you put your ear around the fuel filler hole.

change your fuel filter and go from there.

No check engine lights. And then again this morning seemed like it didn't wanna move. And gradually began to pick up speed.

I may try some fuel treatment any suggestions? I started to get fuel from this place and seems like that place may have been the culprit. I really don't know

It definitely could be. Too much K&N Filter Oil will mess with the MAF sensor. Seems like it would be more of a consistent problem though.
In my experience when a MAF is bad you'll get the symptoms pretty consistently.

I got that mass air flow sensor cleaner and now I'm very content my truck runs like it should. It could be the k&n oil but most of all could be the trash that gets through also.

wouldn't be the fuel pump, when a fuel pump fails the truck will just stop running like out of gas, you can also turn the ignition to the ON position and hear the pump operating if you put your ear around the fuel filler hole.
I think thats the evap pump.
Fuel pump wont prime without cranking over. Im not sure the specifics why, but noticed it when i did a fuel pump swap with a toyota tech.

Same sound u hear after the truck sits approx 4hrs, it does an emissions self diagnostic. Scares ppl sometimes when the hear it for 1st time.

Make sure u sprayed the sensor upside down too.. theres a small channel u can see if flipped upside down. U can see contacts in there.

I think thats the evap pump.
Fuel pump wont prime without cranking over. Im not sure the specifics why, but noticed it when i did a fuel pump swap with a toyota tech.

Same sound u hear after the truck sits approx 4hrs, it does an emissions self diagnostic. Scares ppl sometimes when the hear it for 1st time.
the evap-charcoal canister recirculates gas vapors within the gas tank/fuel system not allowing them to be emited into the atmosphere, if the canister gets saturated with fuel by topping off the gas tank too much it will cause a hard/flooded start condition and the canister needs to get replaced. if you turn the ignition key to the ON postion the idiot lights on the dash will illuminate and you can hear the fuel pump operating if you step out of the truck, this is an old fashioned way to see if the fuel pump was operating or dead without having to check the pressure in the fuel line. usually the DENSO pumps in tacomas last the life of the vehicle I changed one out in my 2004 at 250k(still operating fine) when I had to replace a leaking gasket on the fuel sending unit cover.

the evap-charcoal canister recirculates gas vapors within the gas tank/fuel system not allowing them to be emited into the atmosphere, if the canister gets saturated with fuel by topping off the gas tank too much it will cause a hard/flooded start condition and the canister needs to get replaced. if you turn the ignition key to the ON postion the idiot lights on the dash will illuminate and you can hear the fuel pump operating if you step out of the truck, this is an old fashioned way to see if the fuel pump was operating or dead without having to check the pressure in the fuel line. usually the DENSO pumps in tacomas last the life of the vehicle I changed one out in my 2004 at 250k(still operating fine) when I had to replace a leaking gasket on the fuel sending unit cover.

Ill agree to disagree. Pump wont prime until crank.
Ill take the techs word until i see different on paper, plus
Replacing fuel filter few months ago, truck took a few seconds upon initial startup.
Also if it primed without crank, then the good ole urd kit ovetightening hose clamp leading to leak fiasco wouldnt happen at startup as the system should prime before cranking as u say.
Maybe its a 2nd gen thing

Back