Gas Pedal won't work unless Pressed half way

peter

It's a particularly cold day today and my 2003 Tacoma was running great, but ten minutes into my trip I would push my gas pedal down and nothing would happen. I found that there is no resistance on the gas pedal until it's pressed half way down and the car doesn't accelerate until the pedal is half way pressed. When the pedal is half way pressed the pedal gets a lot of resistance but at least the car responds. The cruise control doesn't work and the car lurches when being moved from park to drive. From reading online I suspect I need to clean the butterfly valve on the air intake where there might be some gunk built up that stops the valve from moving unless a lot of pressure is applied...does that sound like it's the problem?

It's a particularly cold day today and my 2003 Tacoma was running great, but ten minutes into my trip I would push my gas pedal down and nothing would happen. I found that there is no resistance on the gas pedal until it's pressed half way down and the car doesn't accelerate until the pedal is half way pressed. When the pedal is half way pressed the pedal gets a lot of resistance but at least the car responds. The cruise control doesn't work and the car lurches when being moved from park to drive. From reading online I suspect I need to clean the butterfly valve on the air intake where there might be some gunk built up that stops the valve from moving unless a lot of pressure is applied...does that sound like it's the problem?
Seems like a fairly easy check off the list of possible problems. Did you try it?

The problem happened in the morning, I started my truck this afternoon and it works as it should. I haven't checked anything out yet, It's still 5 degrees and I'm at work so hoping it can wait a day or two tops.

The problem happened in the morning, I started my truck this afternoon and it works as it should. I haven't checked anything out yet, It's still 5 degrees and I'm at work so hoping it can wait a day or two tops.
Let us know if that fixes it or if the issue somehow resolved itself. Otherwise we can brain storm and see what we come up with.

Sprayed some oil in the butterfly value and wiped it down. Wasn't much in there in terms of deposits. When i'm havign the problem
and the gas pedal is pushed down the cable is being pulled but nothing happens so that makes me think it's not the butterfly value but the fact that it's idling so high makes me think it is. Still very cold out and will know more tomorrow after driving it again after stating up from the cold.

Back