Gas

Harrysport

Well I know I can use 83 octane in my Taco but when questioned about what kind of gas can be used in a Toyota Tacoma I looked it up on my manual and it said nothing less then 81 octane but further reading I read somewhere that for better performance try a higher octane which I did (93 octane ) and I have notice it's as if my Taco woke up. Not only am I getting a better performance but it looks like better gas mileage as wellIMG_20170802_054520202.jpgIMG_20170728_113246946.jpgIMG_20170728_051551804.jpg

Last edited:
I use 87 regular at pump Heck it runs fine & easily pull 26 MPG on HWY / Country roads .
I have used 93 octane with changes -
#1 faster
#2 pinch better MPG
BUT since it's faster I find it harder to drive mellow
So i go 87 drive , slow and enjoy low cost fuel
good MPG no traffic tickets.

I use higher octane because my Tacoma sits. I have a work truck so I drive it most of the time. On trips, I'll use lower to mid-grade but around town, I use 93. Publix has buy a $50 gas card for $40 so I buy Shell or BP and they give you the cash price.

I don't remember the manual calling for better performance with higher octane fuel. Some states don't use ethanol in their higher octane fuel which will make more power but it isn't because of the higher octane rating. Octane rating is resistance to burning.

I thought I read some place that the computer on Tacoma's will increase HP a few ponies due to ability to advance timing a bit

I thought I read some place that the computer on Tacoma's will increase HP a few ponies due to ability to advance timing a bit

A ECU tuned for 87 will optimize timing with the 87 but it will not go beyond that to take advantage of a higher octane. There is no way for the ECU to know what fuel you put in the tank and can only guess by monitoring knock.

A ECU tuned for 87 will optimize timing with the 87 but it will not go beyond that to take advantage of a higher octane. There is no way for the ECU to know what fuel you put in the tank and can only guess by monitoring knock.

You kinda answered the question The ECU will detect a ping on 87 & adjust to optimize timing by retarding timing to it's set variables
higher octane.wile not instantly , but will cause an adjustment to optimize timing
91 octane is the max the 4.0 needs any way
That is what modern computer auto's do .
I have a 33 year old dodge pick up ( slant 6 ) put in 87 and you will suffer with no relief
unless you adjust timing retarded , so no ping, but delivers a sluggish feel
so I use 93 and the old slant zips along
But lets take that with a grain of salt cause when you stomp on a slant
a lot is going on , your shifting a lot and feel like speed racer
till you look at the speed and see 45 mph
- - so at least no ping

Last edited:
You kinda answered the question The ECU will detect a ping on 87 & adjust to optimize timing by retarding timing to it's set variables
higher octane.wile not instantly , but will cause an adjustment to optimize timing for 93 with better performance .
That is what modern computer auto's do .
I have a 33 year old dodge pick up ( slant 6 ) put in 87 and you will suffer with no relief
unless you adjust timing retarded , so no ping, but delivers a sluggish feel
so I use 93 and the old slant zips along
But lets take that with a grain of salt cause when you stomp on a slant
a lot is going on , your shifting a lot and feel like speed racer
till you look at the speed and see 45 mph
- - so at least no ping

Modern ECUs don't adjust that much unless it's higher performance engine made for high octane because why waste the time creating tables?

Your slant six is a completely different animal.

The old school slant , shows that back in the day you adjusted your timing your self for
your fuel choice with performance criteria .
My Tacoma motor wont utilize 93 octane as performance engine's like Corvettes or a GT-R
but I feel a difference from 87 to 91 . Since I drive 99% of the time as if an egg is under my foot
87 is all I need but if I wore a younger man shoes and or reverted back to my days as a guy in his 20"s
cause when I was young I drove Fast or Faster then 91 would be my choice .
That being said once in a wile I do stomp my Tacoma ,
Even a couple of Impromptu first gear second gear races & the Tacoma is a fast truck
I've use 87 & I've also used 91 / 93 for a week or two
It's faster , noticeably more effortless as it floats along
over all my driving stile has no need of 91/93 , still when some thing is faster it's
pinching out a HP or two more , it's a matter of need & I need not
It's nice to know when you want more Zip run a tank or two of 91
you will get a reward .
I've had some vehicles in the past that 87 to 93 made Zero difference at all
one was a V-6 Dodge Caravan other's Ford V-6 family car's .But for sure my Taco's
got more motor then them .

Last edited:
If you have 93 in your area then it's possible it could be ethanol free. That will give you more power because there is less energy that can be made from ethanol due to the higher resistance to burn (octane).

Plenty of controversy about Ethanol first it was winter only (cause cold has less evaporation)
then 10% year round .
Ethanol free (have used it) ethanol free 91 to sunoco 93 all I really notice is smoother and some more power Maybe eventually i'll try only Ethanol Free the people who work at the station tell me they get 3 mpg better ??
87 for normal use in the Taco has to be admired - still fine power - no ping - and great MPG . Good MPG requires proper driving
so 87 to 93 make's no real change . I guess if some body is towing to the upper limits with the Taco they may have another view point
Going off topic here but I've had lots of cars trucks for me so far the Taco is the best
Performance
Handling on mountain roads
MPG
Ability carry 5 people & a load
4X4 is particularity good , I notice they have a tight limited slip
Fit and finish of materials ( entire truck )
Nice looks
Best all around truck for me so far ( I know there is better ) I've had worse that I can tell you.

Back