General maintenance intervals

jprins23

Hey guys. New to my 16taco. Just wondering what intervals y’all do your maintenance and what tasks you do at what mileage. For example I’ve heard every10k for oil and tire rotation but it being a fairly new vehicle I’m unsure of when other preventative maintenance intervals should happen. Thanks!

Unless you’re being harder than usual on your truck, I would just follow the owners manual. Even then, I think they have a column for hard driving or something similar.

The truck is going to last whether you maintain it or not, it's just a well built machine. I change my oil every 7 to 10k and still haven't rotated my tires 20k but it's on the schedule, it hell rotating these tires. You visit Car/Truck forums and see people changing oil every 3 to 5k miles, in my mind just wasting money, then they sell it within 12 months of owning it.o_O

The worst thing is to go beyond what your manual says, if you do what the manual says you will be good.

I change my oil and filter every 6K. Amsoil Signature 0W20, Toyota filter. Costs me $56. To send a sample to Blackstone Labs costs me $36, and will tell me how worn out my oil is, along with other things. For the additional $20 I have new oil and a new filter. A magnetic drain plug catches any ferrous metal in the oil and I keep an eye on antifreeze usage. It's worked for me on all of my vehicles for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

I'm not saying that oil analysis is a waste of time or money, because it isn't. My ex F-I-L was a boat captain on a charter deep sea fishing boat. That boat had oil analysis done on a regular basis and a book onboard with all of the results. When you are going thru 20 gallons of oil and four or six oil filters, analysis makes sense. Hours on an engine can be at ideal prop speed or just idling along, but both show as hours on the oil.

Back