Getting harder to start

Sam091990

When I got this truck 3 Sep it was working fine but now I am having to keep the key in a longer time to turn it over Anyone have any ideas? I have not done much to it cept replacing the tag lights with LED bulbs and replacing the center high mount brakelight with LED bulbs. Please give me advice, I have noticed sometimes when it happens the brake pedal gets stiff. Oh, and also the other day at advance auto a worker tgere was helping me get my map bulbs out and somehow upon removal tripped the fuse. It started acting up the day after that.

Thanks
Sam

You didn't state 4 or 6 cylinder, but anyhoo, but how many miles on the truck? I assume that you bought the truck new on September 3rd, but am not sure.

2012 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport (Extra Value package, the one with only 17in tires Vs 18in tires) Double Cab W/Tow package. 100,954 as of today.

What series engine is in your truck? Mine (a 2018) came with a 2GRFKS. I ask because sometimes some series of engines are plagued by certain problems.

In general tho, with 100K plus miles it could be leaky injectors after you shut the truck off, low compression, weak fuel pump pressure, worn spark plugs, plus a whole lot I didn't touch on. All can be tested for and eliminated without replacing parts.

When you say hard to start, do you mean it cranks and cranks and then finally fires and runs, or it almost fires and runs a number of times and then finally fires and runs?

4L 1GR-FE V6. I mean it cranks and cranks for about 5-10 seconds than starts up. I do notice I have not had that problem much anymore, but still wanna be careful. I took it in for a recall last week and they also did a free inspection and it mentioned I am due for an engine tune up. No clue why the selling dealership did not do it, but oh well. Toyota is asking for $150 for the tune-up.

Sam

4L 1GR-FE V6. I mean it cranks and cranks for about 5-10 seconds than starts up. I do notice I have not had that problem much anymore, but still wanna be careful. I took it in for a recall last week and they also did a free inspection and it mentioned I am due for an engine tune up. No clue why the selling dealership did not do it, but oh well. Toyota is asking for $150 for the tune-up.

Sam

What does the tune up include for $150? Plugs, wires, oil change, PCV valve, fuel filter, oxygen sensor, and anything else that may be wrong that’s incidentally found.
I’d see what the tune up involves before agreeing to it. If it’s including all the normal things for a tune up listed above that’s a good deal at a flat $150. You’d spend that much in parts almost.

I'd go with injectors leaking after you shut the truck off an/or the fuel pump check valve leaking, which drops the pressure in the fuel line to your injectors. When the pressure drops, the fuel boils, compounding the trouble. Easy to check with the proper adapters and a pressure gauge.

What does the tune up include for $150? Plugs, wires, oil change, PCV valve, fuel filter, oxygen sensor, and anything else that may be wrong that’s incidentally found.
I’d see what the tune up involves before agreeing to it. If it’s including all the normal things for a tune up listed above that’s a good deal at a flat $150. You’d spend that much in parts almost.

Knowing Toyota, just spark plugs.

I'd go with injectors leaking after you shut the truck off an/or the fuel pump check valve leaking, which drops the pressure in the fuel line to your injectors. When the pressure drops, the fuel boils, compounding the trouble. Easy to check with the proper adapters and a pressure gauge.

Oddest thing about it is the malfunction indicator light is not on. After 10 seconds or so of having the key in the ignition it works fine and i do not have the issue for about 6 days and only if it is hot (90+). I am wondering if it might be the battery. Since my truck has tow package with bigger alternator it is supposed to use a 27f. However, 2yr ago whoever owned it replaced the battery with a 24f.

Sam

If the engine spins over at a normal rate, the 24 F battery is plenty to spin a 4 liter engine. Does this problem only happen after the truck sits a while and isn't used, like a few hours while you are at work or over night?

When it sits 6hr or so in 90f weather. Could it be like the air filter or something needs replaced?

Sam

The fact that it happens mostly in hot weather makes me think you are losing fuel pressure after shutting the truck off and the fuel (which contains a % of alcohol) boils and gives you a slight case of vapor lock. I'd get your fuel pressure tested after the truck sits for a bit.

The fact that it happens mostly in hot weather makes me think you are losing fuel pressure after shutting the truck off and the fuel (which contains a % of alcohol) boils and gives you a slight case of vapor lock. I'd get your fuel pressure tested after the truck sits for a bit.

This is what I’m thinking too 100%. Exactly what it sounds like. That’s where I’d start too.

A lot of the people on this forum have never driven a vehicle with a carburetor, so they have no experience with vapor lock, since it doen't exist in a fuel injected vehicle that is operating properly

If it starts, it's fine. Mine would take a bit more cranking depending on the weather but gave me 145K miles before it was totaled by an idiot.

A lot of the people on this forum have never driven a vehicle with a carburetor, so they have no experience with vapor lock, since it doen't exist in a fuel injected vehicle that is operating properly
Back in the early 80s when Ethanol first came out we dealt with vapor lock alot on those caburetors. Including my '70 Chevelle.....found out 1qt of diesel fuel to a tank of gas stopped all that.....made the oil a lil dirtier but she wouldn't vapor lock.

Back in the early 80s when Ethanol first came out we dealt with vapor lock alot on those caburetors. Including my '70 Chevelle.....found out 1qt of diesel fuel to a tank of gas stopped all that.....made the oil a lil dirtier but she wouldn't vapor lock.

Man. I haven’t heard anyone talk about that trick for many many years.

Man. I haven’t heard anyone talk about that trick for many many years.
Old trick but it worked! Was working at a gas station in the early 80s when the ethanol came out. We ran a service truck on I-80.......lotsa cars vapor locked......we'd take a water-soaked towel and wrap it around the fuel pump.......dump a quart of diesel in the gas tank and top it off with non-ethanol gas......they're on their way!

I got around the problem by using an electric fuel pump situated just in front of the fuel tank. That way the pressurized line resisted vapor lock a lot better than the mechanical fuel pump.

Back