Guilt

B.C.

This may, or may not make sense to some of you.
Most likely we all have done something that we regret. Some are things we cannot make better, or apologize for. But others we can do something about.
This is my short story, and might make someone else do something, to help make amends, and alleviate guilt they have carried for years.
I try my best to lead a life of morals, and ethics. No, I am not perfect, nobody is, but for over a decade its eaten me up inside that I once stole something. Long story, no need for it all, but the short version, I was new to Kelowna, living in my rental basement, and had just bought a used motorcycle, and doing lots of riding. While out riding one day, in a stunningly beautiful area, I stopped on the side of a road, and was admiring the amazing views, and vineyards. Those grapes just feet away looked so delicious, i walked the 10 feet or so from my bike, to the fence, reached over the fence, and picked a grape. OMG it was good, so I reached over the fence again, and picked two more. Moments later as I rode away, I was struck with enormous guilt for having stolen. I thought about riding to the house I could see that was obviously the owners, confessing to my sin, and paying them some cash, but I never did. Instead of rectifying the problem, I let it eat away at me for all these years. A couple of weeks ago I wrote a letter, confessing what I had done, put it in a card that said sorry, and enclosed a $100 bill. Remembering where the vineyard is, I rode to the house, but nobody was home. I slid the envelope into the crack of the door near the handle, and left. I put my name and mailing address on the envelope, and have wondered since what they thought when they found it. In the mail today was a thank you card, and yes from those gracious people. They thanked me for the card, letter, and cash, and sent back the $100 bill. They told me they would have never known I stole those three grapes, and are sure many people have stopped to pick a few over their 31 years there. Told me I shouldn't have been so hard on myself, but that they appreciate my letter very much. Finally I feel like my conscious is somewhat cleaned for what I had done. My regret now, is not having turned around that same day, riding there, and confessing to them.
If you have a regret, even if it was long ago, make amends now. You will feel better, trust me guilt is a horrible thing to carry with you!

My only regret is that I couldn't have had more of a presence in my oldest daughter's life. Being in the Air Force, I never made much money and when my first wife left me the only way I could see my daughter would be to go back to Pennsylvania.

I was never stationed within a 1 day drive, and I was trying to move on with my life.

I called her at least once a week, but I only saw her about every five years.

That is tough Scott...sorry buddy!

Wood I'm no saint, but I made myself a promise to be as good as I could manage.
Was proud to say no matter how tough things got at times, I never stole a penny. Then I stole those grapes for no reason, and it upset me deeply.

Back