Hard shifting

J.hortian

Hey guys, I have a 2005 tacoma with a 6 speed manual trans. Lately I have noticed that it's tough to get it into gear. Sometimes it won't go in 1st until I put it in 2nd. Sometimes it acts as if there's 2 steps, it will go in half way then I have to push harder to get it to go the rest. I've tried letting the clutch out a little to move the gears but at that point it's not in enough and it grinds. Last night It was very difficult to get it out of reverse, I replaced the clutch about 6,000 miles ago and it shifted like new for the first thousand miles or so. Any ideas?

I haven't changed it since I bought it, I have it ready to go I've been busy. Could it be that simple? What issues?

Never force the trans into gear, that grinding you hear is the syncronizers being screwed up, that's probably the problem. I've never worked on a 6 speed trans, but plenty of 4 speeds so I don't know about any 6 speed issues that Whip was talking about.

Does it make a squealing noise when you push in on the clutch?

Change the fluid. Switch over to synthetic, should clear up your grinding issue. At least it did mine. Went from Dino to RP no more grinds for me since. Shifts alot smoother as well.

6 spd transmission oil should be changed every 30,000 miles. Shift it like a truck...slow & deliberate. Not like a car where you tend to speed shift. Also, push clutch all the way down when shifting.

When I bought mine at 47k it would grind every now & then going into 3rd. Not anymore since I changed fluid over (from factory fill) at 50k, now at 57k.

How does the clutch pedal feel?? Sounds like the clutch may not be releasing fully. Is it only happening when the truck is sitting still ie:going into first gear to start off and seems to shift fine while driving?? Just a thought. Check for a leaky slave cylinder or air in the hydraulic system (these are hydraulic clutches right!? Rarely see a tacoma in the shop)

Back