Hard tonneau cover recommendations

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by tacomalimited, Jun 2, 2018.

1. tacomalimited

tacomalimited 2018 dcsb mgm limited 4x4

Looking for recommendations on hard tonneau covers that give you nearly, if not all bed use! I really like the hard roll up tonneaus but I don't like anything covered in vinyl. Possibility of it ripping and such. What do you consider to be the best and why? Thanks for your help!

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Best?

Diamondback

Bogunn likes this.
  4. I have the Extand 2.0,,,,love it,,folds easy and can also remove if needed

JrSr2003 and slapshot like this.
  5. lcarrasco212

lcarrasco212 Well-Known Member

Bakflip is a good one that sits flush

OR17TRD likes this.
  6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Bakflip MX4
    I use my bed all the time and it gives me full access minus a few inches. It protects the back window when you have larger taller load. It sits clean and low profile. They are pricey but worth it IMO. DDDA3FCA-A068-4F1C-8715-74E287BCE1B7.jpeg E894B050-3F1C-4B32-ABAE-99877ACA7615.jpeg E8CCD286-9A07-46EA-B8A7-BB71F3D20FEE.jpeg

7. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Find someone on eBay that wants rid of the oem one. They work find . That would probably be the cheapest option. Or buy the backflip OR works out of his truck so he would give you a honest opinion

8. OP
    tacomalimited

I'm trying to decide be the Bakflip MX4 and the Undercover Flex, the one thing I like about the flex is it doesn't touch the truck when fully open,it stands straight up. I was also considering the Bak revolver X4, but I don't like that it's covered in vinyl

9. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Well-Known Member

when I looked, in Feb, I liked the flex, except it does not allow retention of the bed rail and cleats, otherwise I really liked it (had an original Undercover for ten years on my Tundra). That said I got an Xtang Encore.....I use the front opening panel all the time, and it seems a quality product.

10. OR17TRD

The new design on the Bakflip MX4 stops it before it leans on the truck. 2min in he talks about it

11. OP
    tacomalimited

Your MX4 doesn't have that feature? I would need to make sure I get an updated edition of the MX4 if that's the case, I guess. Definitely leaning back towards the MX4 because of that feature, thanks!

OR17TRD likes this.
  12. OR17TRD

No I got mine and then that came out. I dont care that it leans on the cab it’s got good padding to protect the paint. Not a big deal to me. I use my truck as a truck.

Lil G likes this.
  13. 492vs

492vs Member

My Bakflip has always leaked and after on 2 yrs it looks like this. 20180604_175750.jpg 20180604_175807.jpg

Bogunn likes this.
  14. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

15. OR17TRD

What model is that? I had the G2 on my Tundra for years and it held up fantastic. I’ve had this Mx4 on the Tacoma for 14 months and it’s still like new. I use it all the time. It leaks some but not enough to get anything wet. Just some down the sides of the bed and under my bed mat it goes.

16. 492vs

492vs Member

Update: yes, the vp only had a 1 year warranty. When I noticed the failure I contacted BAKflip and ask what type of adhesive I could use to reglue the rubber hinge. The customer service agent asked me to send pics and Proof of Purchase. He then said they stopped producing the vp model and said they are sending me a new g2 model. You can't ask for better customer service than that. 5 stars to Bakflip for product support!

Toki, OR17TRD, Lil G and 1 other person like this.
  17. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Yes sir. That’s a great way to run a business

Bogunn likes this.
  18. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Awesome. That says a lot about the company.

Lil G likes this.
  19. OR17TRD

Could have said some of that in the first post. Haha made it seem like Bakflip was ****.

Toki and lcarrasco212 like this.
  20. OR17TRD

So do you have the G2 now?

21. 492vs

492vs Member

No, they are shipping this week.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Taco Forum mobile app