Head light issue

John P. Ferry

I had a cracked windshield, I hadn't driven it in the dark because we did all our traveling from Canada home during the. daylight. I was at brother in laws camp Tuesday let at 9 PM. OMG, wit the lights on low beam you could see a dark shaded area across the top 1/3 of the windshield that you could bare see through! My wife said I can't see much out the front window is it the same for you I said yes. When we could off the camp road and started driving on state roads high beams came on but they didn't seem right either light to bright and if you cam around. corner and there was a sign the light reflected terribly. I bought this trick new last year has 13,888 miles on it. I read people saying its a safety feature, NO WAY it didn't do this before.It has a new windshield and still doing the same thing so it's not the windshield. HELP, need some suggestions. Any one ever have this problem did Toyota fix it?

Thank,
John In the Dark

Last edited:
So you're saying you had your windshield replaced and its defective? I'd be knocking on the door of whoeverbreplaced the glass. I drive at night and there is no distortion in my glass what so ever. The only thing across the top of my windshield us that "third visor", the black dots, but it's there day and night.

So you're saying you had your windshield replaced and its defective? I'd be knocking on the door of whoeverbreplaced the glass. I drive at night and there is no distortion in my glass what so ever. The only thing across the top of my windshield us that "third visor", the black dots, but it's there day and night.

No, it's not the windshield being defective. I have driven 13,800 miles with this truck no issues. I had my windshield crack while in Labrador. we drove home during the day for two days. the day before I had the windshield replaced I drove from my brother in laws camp to home in the dark. As soon as I started driving down the dirt road with some small hills and valleys my wife and I saw the top third of the windshield was very dark, and at times found it very uncomfortable with the lighting. When we got on the main road it seemed like the high beams were not like they were in the past. We fund it very uncomfortable driving in the dark. just three weeks before I drove to my range for hunter safety meeting left after 9PM drove on a dirt road for a couple of miles then on a dark tarred road then on the turnpike NO ISSUES. Was in northern Maine last month drove on long dirt road 24 miles in the dark no issues. It's the same now with the new windshield. I've been researching it and I keep reading horror stories saying that's the new way headlights work. I'm calling the dealer about it now but have heard everyone say they will say that's the wait is live with it! If it is I'll have to trade the truck which I really like other wise!

Last edited:
I havent seen or heard of such head light issue before, but I'll jeep my eye out for any mention of it.
It's really unnerving. The top third or so of the windshield looks like it's tinted heavily. You really can't see through it much so you have to look down through the lower part of the windshield. I looked on line and a lot of people are complaining about it. They also say Toyota's no help. I haven't read one complaint that someone said it was fixed. This concerns me.

It's really unnerving. The top third or so of the windshield looks like it's tinted heavily. You really can't see through it much so you have to look down through the lower part of the windshield. I looked on line and a lot of people are complaining about it. They also say Toyota's no help. I haven't read one complaint that someone said it was fixed. This concerns me.
Sounds weird... pictures?
Not sure what exactly to suggest, I'm just curious. Lol

I had a cracked windshield, I hadn't driven it in the dark because we did all our traveling from Canada home during the. daylight. I was at brother in laws camp Tuesday let at 9 PM. OMG, wit the lights on low beam you could see a dark shaded area across the top 1/3 of the windshield that you could bare see through! My wife said I can't see much out the front window is it the same for you I said yes. When we could off the camp road and started driving on state roads high beams came on but they didn't seem right either light to bright and if you cam around. corner and there was a sign the light reflected terribly. I bought this trick new last year has 13,888 miles on it. I read people saying its a safety feature, NO WAY it didn't do this before.It has a new windshield and still doing the same thing so it's not the windshield. HELP, need some suggestions. Any one ever have this problem did Toyota fix it?

Thank,
John In the Dark

That is very interesting. I'd really like to see a pic of your issue/ windshield

Back