Headlight Restoration

R0BBy

My headlights officially look terrible. They are slowly getting more and more hazy.

What's the best fix? I they sell kits but is that the best route or are there any tricks?

Sorry, to clarify this is on the 2002 4Runner I'm about to sell. Got to get it nice and shiny to get top dollar ;)

I use 3M plastic cleaner and polish, as maintenance. There is a bunch of kits out there but have never tried any. The combo of the cleaner and polish I have do pretty well at bringing around dingy lights.

Dewalt buffer and some medium compound. Tape the lights off and buff them out.

Wet sand them starting with 1500 grit then move to 2000 grit then move to 2500 grit ( use plenty of water in the steps) wipe the headlights off with a towel they will look hazy but don't worry the next step is to get a plastic restoration compound ( Mothers McGuire's Turtle Wax all make them) then using a buffer buff with the compound until crystal clear the good thing about using the sandpaper is it gets all the way down to the good plastic

I used the 3M Headlight Resto Kit. I took a lot of care to mask off the area and then I went to town buffing. When you get to the finer grits, you can not buff too much...if you are careful and stay moving. My came out looking BRAND NEW. I was amazed. Several of my friends, upon seeing my results, rushed out and did their car's lights.

I did mine well over a year ago...and they are starting to show the weathering affects again. So it's in no way a long-term solution...but it does make a BIG difference for a while.:yes:

Replace mine with aftermarket stye, $$ well spent. It took only about 30 minutes each side. You just have to mark the light against the wall and adjust the new head light to the closest.

Back