Headstrong Lift Kit Help

Grey18Taco

Please reply with tech facts or personal experience with the 5100’s only. I e already chooses the brand of lift, just working out the details of it.

2018 TRD Sport/ Double cab/ auto

Looking at headstrong Coil/Bilstein 5100 kit w/ Dakar’s (HS16BK-1-DAKAR).

Then I started looking at just the Coil/Bilstein 5100 Kit (HS16BK-1) (the cheaper kit).

Because - I don’t go off road, I want the look. I do not need increased payload in the rear from AAL. Why pay for extras if your not going to utilize them.

So.....

Would I be ok with 5100’s up front with 2887 coils, and a 2” block in the rear?

Would I also need the diff. shim and 1/4 spacer for body lean?

I will be upgrading to 285/75 17 on my stock rim, I already have spacers installed.

Thanks.

Please reply with tech facts or personal experience with the 5100’s only. I e already chooses the brand of lift, just working out the details of it.

2018 TRD Sport/ Double cab/ auto

Looking at headstrong Coil/Bilstein 5100 kit w/ Dakar’s (HS16BK-1-DAKAR).

Then I started looking at just the Coil/Bilstein 5100 Kit (HS16BK-1) (the cheaper kit).

Because - I don’t go off road, I want the look. I do not need increased payload in the rear from AAL. Why pay for extras if your not going to utilize them.

So.....

Would I be ok with 5100’s up front with 2887 coils, and a 2” block in the rear?

Would I also need the diff. shim and 1/4 spacer for body lean?

I will be upgrading to 285/75 17 on my stock rim, I already have spacers installed.

Thanks.
Unfortunately you really won't know if you need a lean spacer until a couple months after you install the lift. The rear leaves are so weak on these trucks that a single AAL really is the best cheap option for a budget friendly rear lift. Blocks separate the axle from the leaf packs making it a weak point. Big red flag for someone who drives their truck hard. AAL doesn't technically increase your payload but they do handle any weight that you may throw back there better than stock. Hope that helps...

Last edited:
Since you don't need such a beefy leafpack for your uses, I'd get either a expo type pack, or just a simple progressive add a leaf, this will be more compliant than the dakars.

As for the lean spacer YES, get the driver side lean spacer installed. The OEM coils are side specific and the drivers side is wound different to support our fat asses, the battery, the fueltank, and who know what else that's always on the driver's side. Aftermarket coils DO NOT take that into consideration.

When installing the aal or leafpack, read the directions well before install. Either the longer end faces the rear of the truck, or the front. I marked mine before install with a tire crayon.
Also make sure to grease between the leaves, use new u bolts, new center pins, and tq ubolts to 85ft lbs, not the 35 the manual has stated for years.

I'd get the one/arb carrier bearing drop, just in case. Odds are high that you will need it.

No front diff drop, but you MIGHT need a swaybar spacer.

Agreed, blocks are ****... They increase axle wrap and accelerate leafpack frowning.

And again, a leafpack will not increase payload.

A single aal offers a rear end that like to buck around on bridge expansion joints, and any convex road anomalies. Way worse than one can imagine. Nothing upsets the suspension quite like hitting an expansion joint in the rain or snow while mid corner and having a stiff thick single aal. Been there, done that, I'm not guessing.

Last edited:
Built a kit.
Icon 1.5 progressive add a leaf 51100.
Bilstein 5100’s all around.
OME 877 coils. (Will install DIY).
OME Carrier drop kit.

Just need to find the dvr side shim and that might be it.

One last question, will this require longer brake lines?

Built a kit.
Icon 1.5 progressive add a leaf 51100.
Bilstein 5100’s all around.
OME 877 coils. (Will install DIY).
OME Carrier drop kit.

Just need to find the dvr side shim and that might be it.

One last question, will this require longer brake lines?
Shouldn't, just be sure they don't pull tight at full droop. Congrats! Can't wait for pics!

Back