Help deciding which tacoma..

Tacoma

Looking to sell my 05 accord that I use for towing my stand up jetski, and getting a tacoma. Will probably go through a dealer. Im having a hard time finding what year trucks had what options available. I noticed these trucks retain awesome retail value which doesnt help me at this point lol. I was looking at the 2013 models but they are a bit out of my budget. I know that I would prefer to have a 4x4 and at least an access cab. I actually wanted a 4 cylinder access cab manual but cant find any in my area (south florida). Are sr5 and pre runners the same? I cant spend more than $22k and want a truck with low miles.. Not sure if ill ever go off-road but its nice knowing I could.
Thanks
Also, do they still make 4 cylinder access cabs 4x4 in manual?

Last edited:
Yes they make the 4 cylinder access cab standard transmission. I have one. I have the SR5. The pre runner is a 2x4. If you find a base model it should be close to your price. The pre runner is cheaper than the 4x4. The bad thing about Tacoma's is a used one is still pricy. Close to the new price.

Pre runner = 2wd with 4wd style suspension
SR5 = Keyless entry, fog lamps(sometimes), and I forget what else(more than base model)

I don't think the AC 4 banger manual was made for the 2nd gen but I could be wrong. If you won't offroad don't get 4wd. It will take some of the cost away. It isn't like it snows in Florida.

Pre runner = 2wd with 4wd style suspension
SR5 = Keyless entry, fog lamps(sometimes), and I forget what else(more than base model)

I don't think the AC 4 banger manual was made for the 2nd gen but I could be wrong. If you won't offroad don't get 4wd. It will take some of the cost away. It isn't like it snows in Florida.

They make it in 2013. SR5 gets a back up camera color match flares chrome bumper Only the v6 has fogs. Not sure what the runner comes in.
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1369184901.489006.jpg

Get a 2006 tacoma best year

What makes the 06 the best ?

Because I own one :thumbsup:

Finding a used Taco with the criteria that your searching for is tough. When I bought mine in Jan it was to replace my PreRunner that Toyota bought back due to frame rusting out. I had very little time to shop, x-mas time. When I found one I liked I would call about it just to be told it was being sold as I spoke to them. I was like what? It was just listed. These trucks go fast if they have low mileage. I finally got mine at a Hyundai dealership that had listed it late on a Sat night. I was able to set up a test drive that night and they confirmed Monday morning just before they opened. I show up a little early and getting ready to test it when another guy shows up and says he was ready to buy it without looking at it. He then got a call from his boss raging him out for not being at work so he left. I test drove it, checked it over and put a down payment on it. When Toyota paid me for my PreRunner I paid it off.
I was really skeptical about buying it only because it was a 6 speed. I have a really bad back, but using the clutch has helped it out and I don't hurt so much anymore. Really glad I got now. Oh and it only had 46k on her.
Keep looking daily! You'll find what your looking for.

actually the '08 is good too...because I own one:thumbsup: ..it's a Access cab SR5 model ...mine's got keyless entry and has a 2.7l 4cylinder engine...good on gas (i've no complaints!!)...been very happy with it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another toyota again :)

What years had the rust issues ?

A friend of mine had a '95 Tacoma and the frame almost rusted out completely on him. It was also part of the recall Toyota had for the rust issue, but he bought it a little to late to take advantage of that.

Not sure if it was just this '95's or not.

Call and make and appointment with the fleet manager of the Toyota dealership near u. The fleet manager can order what ever truck u want and u pay 500 over invoice. U will be able to get more truck for ur money.

In 07 when I bought mine, it stickered at 30,500. I bought it through fleet (07 DC cab sport) and added leather seats. Out the door for 26,200.

The fleet dept will find any truck ur looking for. The reason they do this is because they non commission and make bonus on the am mount of cars they sell.

I bought a beautiful 05 Tacoma SR5 4x4 Double Cab Longbed with a SnugTop Shell, new tires and love it. Mine is also an automatic A/C with the V-6... Paid $13500, which was about 1/3 the cost of a new one. I was planning to buy a 2013 but with the talk of an upcoming body change and a more efficient motor, I chose the used one for now. Keep looking on Craigs List and even Ebay.. There are deals out there, especially in this bad economy.. Good luck! Oh, I also suggest getting the 4x4 over the 2x4, mainly for RESALE. Just my opinion.. :)

I just bought my beautiful 07 TRD Sport access cab 6 spd about 4 months ago with 69000 for 17000. It took awhile to find that exact model I wanted but after weeks of searching everyday on Craigslist I found that one in OH and didnt hesitate to drive to get it from TN. Best decision Ive ever made. I will most certainly be buying another one in future years.

Call and make and appointment with the fleet manager of the Toyota dealership near u. The fleet manager can order what ever truck u want and u pay 500 over invoice. U will be able to get more truck for ur money.

In 07 when I bought mine, it stickered at 30,500. I bought it through fleet (07 DC cab sport) and added leather seats. Out the door for 26,200.

The fleet dept will find any truck ur looking for. The reason they do this is because they non commission and make bonus on the am mount of cars they sell.

that is great to know! thanks

So I can still get a 2013 AC 4x4 manual correct? Are all pre runners 4x2 and v6? Are the manuals okay for light offroad?

Back