Help with buying an older tacoma

Skaf402

Hey everyone, I want a tacoma bad and I've always wanted one. I have 10 k to work with and I need help on what to look for with older trucks like these. I've found a handful in my Omaha area and I just don't really know what I'm getting into. Below I posted a pic of a local for sale truck and I was wondering what the difference was between sr5 and TRd packages. This truck has 194k, is that too much? It's a 5spd

Attachments

• 00H0H_iWs8lKYQL9C_600x450.jpg
    00H0H_iWs8lKYQL9C_600x450.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 00P0P_l7z9CxYexny_600x450.jpg
    00P0P_l7z9CxYexny_600x450.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 56
I bought a 2003 Tacoma 4x4, single seat used in 2006. It had 73,000 miles and was a beautiful dark green color. I paid the original owner $11,000. We used the truck until 2014 when my daughter was driving back from a hike in the Olympics when a CA tourist in a rental car crossed over the center and totaled the truck. My daughter was OK. The insurance company gave me $9700 for the truck. The truck had 203000 mile.
That's 130000 miles for $1300. There were no maintenance items during this 8 year period. Just tires and a wheel alignment.
My conclusion: TACOMA IS NOT A GOOD USED CAR BUY!
In 2015 we went to Beaverton Toyota and bought a new Tacoma same as the original for $22,400. Two years later I think I could sell it on Craigslist for $21 something with 19,000 miles. The new one is an extended cab because they stopped making the single seat model. For minus $1400 it has no rear seats. It leaves room for carrying tools and groceries instead of people.
If you buy a plain Jane Tacoma it holds its value because most folks pay so much more for all the fancy packages. My 2 cents.
If I were you I would put the $10,000 down and make payments on an inexpensive new Tacoma.

Last edited:
I don't understand the first half of what you said? How can owning a Tacoma for 8 years for $1300 not be a good used car buy ? Or did i not read something correctly?

I think altoon is trying to say don't buy used because they hold their resale value. The price of a used one will be close to the price of a new base model. He's saying buy a brand new access cab base model with $10K down and finance the $14k.
By the way that will get you a SR access cab 2x4 manual with no options. The 4x4 base models with no options are $28k. You might get one for invoice and save $2-3k if you are a good negotiator.
With all that said Skaf was asking what to look for in the old trucks and what the difference is between the TRD and SR5 packages.
If it's a gen1 with the 3.4L V6 they will go over 300k if serviced well so 194k miles should still have some life.
1. Look for leaks, engine oil, diff oil, check all fluids.
2. Look for rust on the frame toyota just recalled a bunch of the older ones for that.
3. Service records, does it have them, check the VIN # with toyota if it was serviced at the dealer they will have records.
4. Clean title
5. Test drive it, not just around the block once. Take it on the freeway, in town with stop and go, reverse make sure you like how it drives.
If it's a manual you can check the transmissions gears by putting the transfer case in neutral and taking the transmission through each gear listening for anything that sounds out of the ordinary, whining or grinding, keep the brakes on.
6. Don't buy it if you don't like it.
7. Do some research, kbb.com and NADA.com know the value
8. Be educated and negotiate

TRD off road has upgraded off road features, rear locking diff, off road suspension and TRD stickers.
TRD sports have a fake hood scoop, sport tuned suspension and TRD stickers
SR5 has A/C and power options.

Last edited:
I don't understand the first half of what you said? How can owning a Tacoma for 8 years for $1300 not be a good used car buy ? Or did i not read something correctly?
I am saying that they hold their value over the years more than almost any other vehicle. Why not get on the other side of the curve by buying a new one? The second point I was trying to make is most people spend way too much by buying packages like TRD. This makes the used truck prices artificially high. You benefit from this when you buy a less expensive model new. I think my experience is valid but I have trouble explaining it.

It depends on what you want, what you like and ultimately what you can afford. If you like new base model with no options and can afford that great.
It's all subjective and what can you afford.
Tacoma trucks 4x4 base model new are around $30k you can't touch one if you have $10k and can't make the extra $300-400 monthly payments on the other $20k. Even the 2x4 base no options is $24k new and a payment on $14k after $10k down at 3.5%APR for 60 months is $260 a month. Can you afford $260 a month for 5 years to drive a 2x4 Tacoma base? Would you want to?
Buying a 10-15yr old Tacoma with 200k miles on it and the options you want for $10k if that's what you can afford, do it. Just know what your getting into and do your research. Sounds like that's what Skaf is trying to do by being here asking about the older Tacoma's that he/she can afford.

i just bought a 2005 extended cab 4x4 TRD for $10900 and am very happy. Putting a kid through college at the moment and did not want a new car payment. It was well cared for and has a stack of maintenance records from the previous owner. It also had a new frame put on 2 years ago from the recall. At the time the previous owner had them replace a bunch of stuff while the frame was off. It has some idiosyncrasies like shifting into third (Manual) but it is 12 years old. I thoroughly enjoy it and several people thought it was new. It has 192k miles

The truck you are looking at is very similar in age and miles to mine. I think if you like the truck it will serve you nicely if it was cared for etc.

I was looking at a used '14 SR5 4x4 2.7L 5sp access cab with 23k on it for $23,500 then I found a '17 SR
4x4 2.7L 5sp access cab for $24,900. Only option I'll miss is the cruise control. If you can do the payments go for it if not take your time and don't be afraid to throw some low ball numbers.

Good luck

Just got a 2012 TRD Sport with 30k Miles for $15k less than a comparable new model. I think that is a fair deal. The used market is strong but there are good buys out there.

If you buy a regular cab truck, they are about half the cost of extended and double cabs. Especially in 2 wheel drive. If you can find a used car dealer who will buy you a truck at the dealer auction for a reasonable fee, you can save.

Back