help

twisteddon73

i have a 2006 tacoma base 2.7 it has what feels like a mis or possible skip cruising down the road with slight throttle pressure,ive replaced vacume lines to valve cover, replaced maf sensor, and it has no codes runs great other than that looking for a direction to go. any help woul be great thanks.

Have you done basic maintenance?

Clean Throttle Body
Change sparkplugs.
Change PCV
Change Air Filter.

Give it time......codes will surface as the problem worsens.

Generally, problems only need a simple solution.

? on the PCV

how often does that actually need a new one put in?

I think it is the same interval as sparkplug change. Best to check your Owner's Manual Service section.

Frankly, it is a very simple device and typically cost less than $5. Some recommend cleaning then reinstall, but for $5 is it worth it?

To me, its a simple to replace low cost part.

Could be a coil on one of the plugs too, if high mileage. As far as the pcv, I doubt that's got anything to do with a skip. I had about 300k miles on my old 4.7 tundra, and never replaced it. Spark plugs are a more likely cause. Imo, 90k miles they should be changed.
Op, could of even got a load of bad gas, or a dirty fuel filter.

Agreed on the PCV being a direct cause. A plugged PCV will allow crank case pressure to build this can mess up other sensors. Its a cheap part easy to replace.

Coil is a possibility, although it should throw a misfire code.

I think it is the same interval as sparkplug change. Best to check your Owner's Manual Service section.

Frankly, it is a very simple device and typically cost less than $5. Some recommend cleaning then reinstall, but for $5 is it worth it?

To me, its a simple to replace low cost part.

no yota shop has EVER recommended that it be replaced, so i am confused AF
not even when they had easy access to it with valve covers removed 4 years ago
not when the spark plugs were replaced a few months ago

it is indeed a low-cost part but can be a HUGE headache to replace on the 5VZ if that grommet is solid as a rock62, or so i have read at that other place
one way to check i have read is to disconnect the hose at the other end and see if there is oily inside it or not blowby oily

Agreed on the PCV being a direct cause. A plugged PCV will allow crank case pressure to build this can mess up other sensors. Its a cheap part easy to replace.

Coil is a possibility, although it should throw a misfire code.
Those older trucks didn't have as many sensors to throw codes as the gen3 ones today. You'd probably have to have a near dead cylinder to throw a code. Never saw a pcv mess up any sensors. We replaced the one on my wife's 2012 prius during the 90k maintenance schedule, even though we were way overdo. I had it done because it was cheap. Dealer told me its part of that, but they have never saw one actually fail. The wipers were part of it too, even alhough they were fine....was another $40...I told them to pound sand. Some stuff in this 90k mile maintenance is just bs to rack up the cost.

no yota shop has EVER recommended that it be replaced, so i am confused AF
not even when they had easy access to it with valve covers removed 4 years ago
not when the spark plugs were replaced a few months ago

it is indeed a low-cost part but can be a HUGE headache to replace on the 5VZ if that grommet is solid as a rock62, or so i have read at that other place
one way to check i have read is to disconnect the hose at the other end and see if there is oily inside it or not blowby oily

I urge you to discover the purpose of the PCV.

Every reciprocating engine has one. It allows any blowby gases from the cylinders a place to escape and be recycled into the combustion process. It also reduces crankcase pressure pulsations as a result of the piston motions. The vacuum of the intake system will place a slight negative pressure in the crank case.

If the rubber grommet is hard as a rock62, then the blowby gases are not being efficiently passed to the combustion process.

I would expect the disconnected PCV hose to have some oil in it. Its the nature of the beast for ccase blowby to have suspended oil vapor, which will condense along the length of the hose.

It may help your understanding by visiting this link...

Last edited:
Back