Hesitation while cruising?

JRinTX83

Anybody else have hesitation like the engine is misfiring but only while cruising with low RPMs? Once I downshift and get higher RPMs it goes away. I only have 22k on it and it’s a 2017. Thanks!

My 19 3.5 was terrible for this when I first got it. I installed K&N panel air filter and Borla cat back and its as smooth as silk now. I know thats something that shouldn't have to be done just to get it to run right but thats what I did and it was the best money spent. The "tuners" claim the OV tune takes care if it but I can't say one way ir the other on that. I'm just against messing with the computer because I know me, id manage to screw something else up trying to fix a supposed computer issue. Oh, and I also run premium gas.

Last edited:
Guess I need to try a few tanks of premium and see if that makes a difference. I got rid of my old truck bc of small annoyances just like this. I really thought Toyota had their stuff together and wouldn’t have these kinds of issues. Live and learn I guess. Maybe I’ll have to look at the new generation of tundra hen it comes out. Smh This should not be happening on a fairly new truck. It’s almost like spark plugs need changing. Surely not at 22k miles.

Guess I need to try a few tanks of premium and see if that makes a difference. I got rid of my old truck bc of small annoyances just like this. I really thought Toyota had their stuff together and wouldn’t have these kinds of issues. Live and learn I guess. Maybe I’ll have to look at the new generation of tundra hen it comes out. Smh This should not be happening on a fairly new truck. It’s almost like spark plugs need changing. Surely not at 22k miles.

All vehicles have a few issues.
I don't think the Tacoma is near as bad for them as many others.
Hear about some transmissions that are not good, and stumbles like yours, and such.
But no vehicle is perfect.
Something that I will never again own is a Ford pickup.
I love their Mustangs, not against Ford as a whole. But the ecoboost has to be the worst engine ever made in the history of the automotive industry.
If you want to get in shape, buy an F150 ecoboost...all that walking will have you slim and fit.

Not saying this is your truck's problem but yesterday Toyota just included a lot more vehicles for the fuel pump recall.
Mine (2018) is now on the recall list. :(
If you want look into that. If you go to www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and put your vin it will tell you if you're one of the chosen.
Sorry about your Taco. Hope they make it right. I wonder if that is a big reason why I see alot of 18 and 19 used trucks at the dealerships?

I wander how long its gonna take yota to cough up all those fuel pumps. I just wander if its actually gonna be a full recall or if they just extend the warranty and replace as they fail.
Not saying this is your truck's problem but yesterday Toyota just included a lot more vehicles for the fuel pump recall.
If you want look into that. If you go to www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and put your vin it will tell you if you're one of the chosen.

Thanks for link! Apparently I’m not one of the recalled vehicles. Was kind of hoping I was so it would fix the issue.

My 16 & 17 did the same thing. I got rid of both and am driving a 2nd gen. It’s disappointing that you spend $40,000 on a truck and it doesn’t perform like you’d expect.

My 16 & 17 did the same thing. I got rid of both and am driving a 2nd gen. It’s disappointing that you spend $40,000 on a truck and it doesn’t perform like you’d expect.

I agree. Especially considering how everybody raves over Toyota quality. So far my best truck has been my Ram and that’s who everybody hates on the most! If my gf didn’t wreck it I’d still be a happy camper with that truck!

I agree. Especially considering how everybody raves over Toyota quality. So far my best truck has been my Ram and that’s who everybody hates on the most! If my gf didn’t wreck it I’d still be a happy camper with that truck!

I've abused my Ram incredibly hard for the last 3 years, and it has been completely problem free, so I agree on Ram reliability. My 2002, and 2011 Dodge trucks were both excellent as well!

I've abused my Ram incredibly hard for the last 3 years, and it has been completely problem free, so I agree on Ram reliability. My 2002, and 2011 Dodge trucks were both excellent as well!

I really like the new generation but didn’t want to buy a first year. Guess I’ll ride out the taco for a bit before going back. They’re solid trucks. I had a 2001 5.9l and a 2016 Sport. The sport was loaded and was the best truck I ever owned. The 3.90 rear end was great for towing (and spirited driving)!

I am strongly considering another new ram instead on my canyon.
My 1992 dodge 2500 did have a rear diff fail, but it had been severely abused when I bought it used in 1997. Oddly just today I called and asked about the penalty to cancel my canyon order, as we ( gf and I ) discussed a travel trailer lately. The GMC dealership has been very reasonably and said if i buy from their affiliate Dodge dealer they will return my whole deposit, if I use a different dealership they will give me back half.

I had a 2017 ram that I traded for my 2019 Taco. As far as the truck itself I really liked it, almost luxury car ride and lots of room in the crew cab. The only reason I got rid of it was the engine, I had the 1500 with the 5.7 and it was pretty much known to have cam/lifter issues. Besides I didn't need a truck that size, the taco suits me fine. If I needed a truck truck id deffinately consider a 2500 ram with the 6.4 or cummins diesel.

Mine feels like a lean miss when it stumbles. I had an update done about a year ago (mine is an 18, bought new) that cured a LOT of the stumble, but a small bit is still there. The fact that I am on the fuel pump recall makes me think the fuel pump is going south occasionally.

Mine feels like a lean miss when it stumbles. I had an update done about a year ago (mine is an 18, bought new) that cured a LOT of the stumble, but a small bit is still there. The fact that I am on the fuel pump recall makes me think the fuel pump is going south occasionally.

Mmm south.
Warm and tropical!
Just don't go too far or its ice and penguins, that is bad.

Back