Hesitation while cruising?

@Joisey, what air filter are you running? Youve all ready got the Borla exhaust, right? After I intalled my Borla and it ran so good I put the stock air filter back in just to see what it would do. It ran decent with stock air filter but on WOT it would start chugging around 42/45 hundred rpm. Dropped K&N back in and now pulls strong from 1000 to 6000 rpm, no hesitation at all. You've got a 13:1 motor and via computer and knock sensors and what have you you can chock that thing down to run, sort of, on revular gas. Uncork that puppy and let it hunt.

@Joisey, what air filter are you running? Youve all ready got the Borla exhaust, right? After I intalled my Borla and it ran so good I put the stock air filter back in just to see what it would do. It ran decent with stock air filter but on WOT it would start chugging around 42/45 hundred rpm. Dropped K&N back in and now pulls strong from 1000 to 6000 rpm, no hesitation at all. You've got a 13:1 motor and via computer and knock sensors and what have you you can chock that thing down to run, sort of, on revular gas. Uncork that puppy and let it hunt.

I have the TRD air box and a K&N filter (you know, the one that kills your sensors if you are prone to over oil it). I've run regular, plus and premium in that truck. It likes Shell regular and Amoco premium. Both are close in performance, but the regular gas gives better mileage.

Mine is stock air Box with K&N, I run eithe shell or BP premium. I get better performance with shell however engine is quieter with BP, of course this is by butt dyno. Ive only got 11k miles on mine, if I rememver right you have more on youres. I use a bottle of PI before oil changes and a bottle of the Amsoil UCL probably every 3rd or 4th tank. Maybe its TB cleaning time.
I have the TRD air box and a K&N filter (you know, the one that kills your sensors if you are prone to over oil it). I've run regular, plus and premium in that truck. It likes Shell regular and Amoco premium. Both are close in performance, but the regular gas gives better mileage.

Mine is stock air Box with K&N, I run eithe shell or BP premium. I get better performance with shell however engine is quieter with BP, of course this is by butt dyno. Ive only got 11k miles on mine, if I rememver right you have more on youres. I use a bottle of PI before oil changes and a bottle of the Amsoil UCL probably every 3rd or 4th tank. Maybe its TB cleaning time.

My truck has about 12.2K miles on my truck. I use Amsoil PI performer every 6K miles before my oil change as you do, and in the tank that I burn going to WV. I have bought CRC GDI intake valve cleaner, and will use that at 15K. A catch can will go on the vehicle as soon as the weather is warm enough for me to get into those positions.

My wife has a Mercedes Benz 300TD 4matic. Straight six, 3 liter engine, 12.5:1 compression, premium fuel, gets 12 city and 19-22 highway. Four wheel drive kicks in when it senses any wheel slip. The car weighs more than my truck and is a rocket. It doesn't downshift for hills unless you are in WV. THOSE are hills. The secret? Small bore, long stroke, torque and horsepower in the lower rpm range.

Last edited:
Ive been thinking about a catch can also. Ive spent enough extra money lately, had standby generator installed at the house, so toys might have to wait a bit.

Is anyone else having a really hard time not posting funny stuff to this thread?
I mean seriously, the title is just ripe for funny posts.
Since it was started I've had to police my impulse control to the maximum.

Theres a lot of comments that could be made, especially from my younger days, however pc police would probably wipe them out.
Is anyone else having a really hard time not posting funny stuff to this thread?
I mean seriously, the title is just ripe for funny posts.
Since it was started I've had to police my impulse control to the maximum.

I haven't even looked at any yet. The one I had on my Ram came as a kit, catch can, fittings, hoses, bracket. It was made specifically for the 5.7 hemi. From what I've seen so far I'll have to piece meel one together for the taco.
Just buy one with a inside baffle.

Thought I would add a fun fact... filled up twice with 93 octane and now it seems to drive much better. I know 87 is recommended but 93 seems to run a lot smoother.

Everything I have gets premium 93 except the yard tractor and portable emergency generator which get 87. Just got a standby generator installed at the house and as soon as they get the tank set it will run on LP.

I have a 2019 sport and hated the gearing, as when the truck bogged when upshifting too early and the tranny jumped all over the gears, I felt like it also hesitated. I have re-geared and love the difference(albeit expensive) as it now shifts like butter, but when opening up the throttle still feel a skip or very minor hesitation. There’s always great trucks other than Toyota, including my 100,000 mile 2014 Ecodiesel that was smashed by a T/T, but the reliability of Tacomas is the stuff of legends. I will try a higher octane and see what happens.

Anybody else have hesitation like the engine is misfiring but only while cruising with low RPMs? Once I downshift and get higher RPMs it goes away. I only have 22k on it and it’s a 2017. Thanks!
I am also having that problem and only have 7000 miles. Was hoping Toyota will be able to fix it but they can't. Am taking them to court. Not acceptable for $40,000.

I am also having that problem and only have 7000 miles. Was hoping Toyota will be able to fix it but they can't. Am taking them to court. Not acceptable for $40,000.
What octane gas are you using? I was running premium and mine was pretty smooth. Since we've had a change in leadership and gas prices have increased slot I thought I'd maybe tighten up a bit. Run a couple tanks of 89 and everything fine, last time I filled up with regular, oh no, does not like regular, will be going back to 89. Also, ate you sure it's actually skipping? I have a 2019 SR5 2wd and either suspension or hard tires, firestones, if someone dropped a penny on the freeway you can tell heads or tails when you run over if.

@JRinTX83 try running it in the ECT power mode that's how I run my '16 sport its a total different animal ! Total wakes it up. And I manual shift it in S-Mode all the time .much more fun to drive !:)

Back