Hey Guys Quick Quesiton

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by MattScatt425, May 7, 2018.

1. MattScatt425

MattScatt425 Well-Known Member

so I looked at a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 6 speed 4x4 ". The truck was heavily modified which was fine, but when I went for a test drive 3rd Gear kinda grinded til I shifted it like a grandma and it was fine. I have heard about the 3rd Gear syncros problems and weak shift forks. I don't know if it could be dirty Transmission fluid or bad syncro. It only has 70k on it. Also it has a 6 inch dumb pro comp lift and the whole steering wheel shook at 40 mph. Death wobble? It has 12.50 deep dish wheels. I want a 6 speed again but I think I should pass on this ? Thoughts? Thanks

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

If you got the bad feeling in your gut it may be a good idea to move on and look for another Toyota.
    It could be no issue but if it’s feeling bad going into third and wobbling like it’s drunk at 40 it may be more work than you want to get into.
    If it’s a good price it could be worth it though.
    I’d go with your gut.

B-Man likes this.
  4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I’d pass.

MattScatt425 and B-Man like this.
  5. OP
    MattScatt425

That's what I thought too. Salesman always try and talk you into it. I know Tacomas better than him. There is a reason why the guy before traded it in. I like that reason if your gut tells you than it's probably correct. Thanks guys

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  6. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Very true. No warranty and Lord only knows if it’s got a lot of issues worse than what you’re seeing on one test drive.

MattScatt425 likes this.
  7. OP
    MattScatt425

yeah you're right. sweet looking truck though. :(

Bogunn likes this.
  8. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

A hot girl with HIV may look good but she still has HIV. Same difference in a good looking Tacoma with a lot of problems.

9. OP
    MattScatt425

Hahaha I have never thought about it that way but that is absolutely true unfortunately. New analogies everyday

Bogunn likes this.
  10. OR17TRD

Maybe she’s got trich or HTLV-1.

Bogunn likes this.
  11. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

That HTLV-1 is some scary stuff. I can’t believe that it hasn’t gotten more attention.

OR17TRD likes this.
  12. OR17TRD

HIV’s cousin

Bogunn likes this.
  13. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Yep.

14. skyler.surf

skyler.surf Member

Ha this actually applies to my relationship life lol

Bogunn likes this.
  15. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Why not just keep your 2012??

Bogunn and B-Man like this.
  16. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

"Run Rudolf Run"

Bogunn and B-Man like this.
  17. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

You had me at "heavily modified"

kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  18. OR17TRD

... running the other direction towards a fritter shop.

19. OP
    MattScatt425

I don't want an auto anymore

Crawdad and Bogunn like this.
  20. Scuzzy

Scuzzy Well-Known Member

I have both and both have good and bad. My 05 is a six speed and I love it with no traction control and no fancy TPS. Also, the woman cant drive it. My 13 is an auto and I thought I would hate it, but after a few months I like not having to shift all the time in traffic when I travel. But I hate the TC, the TPS and all the crap that comes with it. I don’t know how the stick is with all that crap, but I can drift my 05 in the corners perfectly. But that truck sounds like a POS and I would not touch it unless you want it for parts...I am still looking for a cab and frame...lol

Bogunn likes this.
  21. OP
    MattScatt425

I totally agree with you. I don't like the traction control in these trucks or the tpms sensors. I had an 05 6 speed I miss everyday. The traction control almost over brakes in the rain drives me nuts. But yeah that truck was probably trading in for a reason. I will keep looking. I would like a 2012-2015 6 speed but those are hard to find for a good price

Bogunn likes this.