High mileage oil

Andrew O

When would you guys recommend switching to high mileage oil? I have a 2013 tacoma 4x4 with 83,000+ miles on it. I do alot of highway driving.

Yeah. If it was me I’d keep on using what you’ve been using. Go with past practice and manufacturer specs.
If it ain’t broken don’t fix it.

Yeah. If it was me I’d keep on using what you’ve been using. Go with past practice and manufacturer specs.
If it ain’t broken don’t fix it.
Had a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 for 13 years. Always used Castrol 10w30 dino not synthetic. Changed every 5,000 faithfully. Tried switching to synthetic a couple times over the years and each time it would start to use oil, go back to the 10w30 and it wouldn't use a drop. Had almost 300,000 km on it and it still ran like new when I sold it. So I say use what the manufacturer recommends and follow service intervals religiously, worked great for my Cherokee!

Had a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 for 13 years. Always used Castrol 10w30 dino not synthetic. Changed every 5,000 faithfully. Tried switching to synthetic a couple times over the years and each time it would start to use oil, go back to the 10w30 and it wouldn't use a drop. Had almost 300,000 km on it and it still ran like new when I sold it. So I say use what the manufacturer recommends and follow service intervals religiously, worked great for my Cherokee!

Great example of use what works.

And... It will work Great on a Tacoma.

I would stick with the same oil for the life of the truck. I’ve heard horror stories of people switching oil types at high miles and stuff starts falling apart and leaking. To me a high mile toyota is 200+k. 80k you just broke it in.

I used rp 5w-30 high mileage and I have no issues what so ever. And I started using it at 160k. Just personal pref for me

Everyone does what works for them. If the truck likes it and you want to use it that’s all that matters.

Yup. Do what the truck likes. If it’s not having issues and you have high mileage I wouldn’t change a thing.

Question... if I switched back to reg 5w30 (non-high mileage version), would this damage my engine? Only reason I ask, is because the high mileage version costs little more.

Question... if I switched back to reg 5w30 (non-high mileage version), would this damage my engine? Only reason I ask, is because the high mileage version costs little more.

It shouldn’t hurt anything. I’ve always been of the thought to keep doing what works with no problems.
You could always try it out for a few thousand miles, see how the truck does, and keep using the regular 5w30 if it does okay.

I had a 97 F-150 Lariat super cab that i got for a steal deal w/150k on it. (paid $8k in year 2000!) BUT I though I had been had when I checked the oil about a month later. That truck was burning(no leaks at all) at least 1/2 qt every mth. By the time I would change oil I would have already had to add over a qt.
Well then my brother-n-law told me before I freaked out to try adding a qt of Lucas oil stabilzer at every oil change and see if it didn't stop the oil usage. So I did. Well by the time I had done that 2 oil changes later the truck no longer burned any oil! I went on to use Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic-Blend oil and replace one of the 6.5 qts with a qt of Lucas and when I sold the truck around 2014 it had over 320K miles on it and had never been inside that Triton 4.6 l V8 engine to work on anything! I also sold it for $6,500! (giving it did look pretty darn good when I sold it!) I sold it locally and bumped into the buyer a couple yrs later and he still had it and said it still ran great w/o burning a drop oil off the stick!.(of course I told him to add the Lucas faithfully!)
Anyway,I am such a firm believer in Lucas that I had to share that story and hope maybe it will help someone out there that has an engine burning oil between changes.

Back