Home made armor...

longshore

I have a friend who is a crack metal fab guy. First time I walked into his garage I thought I was back in metal shop class. He will replicate the factory splash plates in 1/4" plate steel. Then I have to figure best way to get the peices powder coated. But feeling great that I will save some dollars. So with that kinda figured out the first thing I'll is the springs and front shocks. Looks like I'll have to take it to the shop for the shocks because of the coil tension. I will get pics up of the armor as I get it. This will be around 200 lbs. Might go 3/16" under the gas tank. Do you guys think 1/4" is too heavy compared to 3/16" for what you get??

I have a friend who is a crack metal fab guy. First time I walked into his garage I thought I was back in metal shop class. He will replicate the factory splash plates in 1/4" plate steel. Then I have to figure best way to get the peices powder coated. But feeling great that I will save some dollars. So with that kinda figured out the first thing I'll is the springs and front shocks. Looks like I'll have to take it to the shop for the shocks because of the coil tension. I will get pics up of the armor as I get it. This will be around 200 lbs. Might go 3/16" under the gas tank. Do you guys think 1/4" is too heavy compared to 3/16" for what you get??
Splash plates?

Like mudflaps?
Or skidplates?

Im corfussed

Sorry that was my name. Factory skids on the Tacoma is a joke. They'll turn water and maybe snow but show them a rock and they dent.

Sorry that was my name. Factory skids on the Tacoma is a joke. They'll turn water and maybe snow but show them a rock and they dent.
Know whats worse?
The TRD skid people pay a premium for.
I laugh whenever i see those things being bought.

Those are aluminum aren't they? $300plus??
Price, i dunno.... never even priced em, they are aluminum.

Just the same concept of fake bealocks, "bullbars", brush gaurds, blue headlight bulbs, and all the other crap people buy thats serves no purpose besides looks. It fakes alot of ppl out and they think its better/tougher/rawr....

This will be around 200 lbs. Might go 3/16" under the gas tank. Do you guys think 1/4" is too heavy compared to 3/16" for what you get??
1/4" imo would be too heavy and unnecessary. I used 1/4" on my 6 ton tractor for a skid plate and it will easily support the tractor on a stump or big rock. 3/16"should be fine and if your buddy has access to a metal break he could possibly bend in some stiffeners and use 1/8". It all depends on how it's supported and the design, along with your realistic expected use. (rock crawling vs. weekend trail run) A skid plate bending while protecting a component is a reasonable compromise if your truck is your daily driver.DSCN1807.jpg

Okay...my fab guy will be done with my front and mid skids soon. He is saying I want to powder coat the things. I am of the mind that with only four bolts I can see if they are rusting after some time has passed. I know there are good rattle can treatments that can work with proper pre treatment of the steel. 3/16.
Thoughts?

Okay...my fab guy will be done with my front and mid skids soon. He is saying I want to powder coat the things. I am of the mind that with only four bolts I can see if they are rusting after some time has passed. I know there are good rattle can treatments that can work with proper pre treatment of the steel. 3/16.
Thoughts?
Id NEVER powder something made to take an impact as regular as a skid or sliders. Bumper maybe.... not not skids or sliders.
That said, its your money.

Doesnt powder flake once compromised? If so, how does 1 repair without re coating and baking?

Yeah I am thinking the same as you on this...I can clean them up and primer them enough to protect it, and after some time I can drop them and check for rust. I can re-clean and repaint lots easier if need be...

Back