Hood bounce

TacoRick

I know a lot of 2016 owners are having to get their hoods rebonded to the hood assembly. Question is, is a little hood bounce normal? I can see a small amount of it in my hood when going over bumps. It gets somewhat bad on the freeway with a lot of wind. Is that normal for these trucks, or do I need to have the dealer take a look?

I know a lot of 2016 owners are having to get their hoods rebonded to the hood assembly. Question is, is a little hood bounce normal? I can see a small amount of it in my hood when going over bumps. It gets somewhat bad on the freeway with a lot of wind. Is that normal for these trucks, or do I need to have the dealer take a look?
My 08 kinda has that problem.. I just ignore it

I thought maybe it was just flimsy metal, but I've come across other owners saying that they've had to get this fixed.

My doors seem to have a little bounce when I close them, but I'm guessing this might be normal.

I thought maybe it was just flimsy metal, but I've come across other owners saying that they've had to get this fixed.

My doors seem to have a little bounce when I close them, but I'm guessing this might be normal.
I'm not surprised that this is happening to my 08 but I think that it's odd that it is happening to your new 2016? You'd think a new truck would be problem free

After looking at the underside of my hood, some of the adhesive is definitely not bonded to the sheet metal. Looks like I'll be taking a gamble on the compitencey of my dealership service department to fix this.

I went to one of the Toyota lots near my house and checked all of the Tacoma hoods. There were 7 on the lot, and 6 of them had flimsy hoods.

What's the chances they will completely replace the hood? Same issue with the adhesive. Mine has a small chip in the paint so if they replace the hood to take care of the problem I would be killing 2 birds with one stone.

What's the chances they will completely replace the hood? Same issue with the adhesive. Mine has a small chip in the paint so if they replace the hood to take care of the problem I would be killing 2 birds with one stone.

My guess is it's not likely. You should be able to buy a paint touch-up pen for 10 or 15 bucks.

My 2016 with 1000 miles had this problem on 2 of the adhesive bonds. Took it to dealer and they used 3M to reglue them. It seems to have worked, been 2 weeks since done.

Can someone take a pic of where these "bonded" spots are?? My hood bounces in the middle like more of a flexing with wind while going down highway . Is this what people are experiencing??

adhesive
Can someone take a pic of where these "bonded" spots are?? My hood bounces in the middle like more of a flexing with wind while going down highway . Is this what people are experiencing??

That's exactly what we're talking about. Open the hood and look where the sheet metal meets the hood assembly. You'll see several spots where adhesive was applied. The adhesive is painted, but it is obvious that it's adhesive. Press up on the hood sheet metal at those adhesive points and you should be able to see separation, or elasticity in the adhesive. That will indicate that you need to have your hood rebonded.

$6 fix and no dealer hassle, no paint mismatch to worry about, no fit/alignment issues. Keep your factory fit and painted hood. The dealer paint shop rarely matches the factory paint job. I've seen this thread for over a year and never checked my '16 TRDOR hood after 29K mi. Sure enough, all the adhesive spots were popped lose. The hood skin can't "fly off" as some fear as it's wrapped and welded at the edges. Run by your fav hardware store and grab a tube of HD Silicone adhesive. It's good for over 1K° and below 0°. I used a plastic shim to open the gap at each factory adhesive location plus a few more. Remove the shim and wipe away the excess that squirts out. Let dry for a day and you're good to go. I do remember seeing the center of the hood wobbling at fwy speeds, but no more.

Attachments

• IMG_4389.JPG
    IMG_4389.JPG
    616.3 KB · Views: 60
Back