Hot transmission fluid on a 2017?

BcExplorer

Ok, so we got 4-5 inches of snow on my driveway and instead of busting out the snow blower I have always just thrown my trucks in 4wd and drive up and down the driveway to pack the snow down. Went back and forth about 8 times and the truck shut off saying hot transmission fluid... Is this a normal 4wd issue? I only have 7,500 km on the truck.

My driveway is about 150 feet long. I was closer to my wife's car and the trees so yeah it was shorter back and forth trips.

Ok, so we got 4-5 inches of snow on my driveway and instead of busting out the snow blower I have always just thrown my trucks in 4wd and drive up and down the driveway to pack the snow down. Went back and forth about 8 times and the truck shut off saying hot transmission fluid... Is this a normal 4wd issue? I only have 7,500 km on the truck.
Do you have tow package?

It came with the hitch mounted and I have a brake controller mounted so it had the wiring? Not sure if that helps. It should have the tow package. I also will be asking my dealer about this when it goes in for service late next week.

It came with the hitch mounted and I have a brake controller mounted so it had the wiring? Not sure if that helps. It should have the tow package. I also will be asking my dealer about this when it goes in for service late next week.
It sounds like you have the tow package which means you should have the factory trans cooler. Maybe it’s not working correctly?
I’d be asking. Let us know what they say.

Unless you were really laying it to the gas and sliding around a lot on ice/packed snow and getting speed up with the transmission going through the gears it shouldn’t happen.
Like OR17TRD said, the tow package has a transmission fluid cooler so it’s not an easy accomplishment to overheat.
I always go to manual mode when I’m at low speed on slick surfaces in 4x4 to keep it from going through the gears. Good advice from Whippersnapper02.
Did your truck start and operate normally after it cooled down?

Yeah it started right back up with no codes about 1 minute later. And no I was not sliding around. I had some Cooper weather master studded tires installed yesterday. They are super grippy. I live in the mountains of British Columbia Canada, and get a fair amount of snow here over the 5 month winter. About 3-4' at my altitude.

Yeah it started right back up with no codes about 1 minute later. And no I was not sliding around. I had some Cooper weather master studded tires installed yesterday. They are super grippy. I live in the mountains of British Columbia Canada, and get a fair amount of snow here over the 5 month winter. About 3-4' at my altitude.

Let us know what the dealership tells you. That’s odd for it to overheat that easily then.

Wasnt someone posting oddball issue about the 3rd gen transmission throwing a light when on an incline too?

Back