How hard/expensive is it to add locking diff to TRD Sport?

geekyadam

Hey all, first time poster. Just ordered my 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 5-speed short bed with P&T package. I really wanted a stick and I don't plan on taking it wheeling so I chose the cosmetic features of the Sport over the rear locking diff on the Off-road model. Watched all local dealerships for months for that specific model but no one drives stick anymore so no one had any with the P&T package. So I ordered one. I'm just curious what it would take to add a locking diff for a gen3 Sport in case I decide I want to go that route in the future. Anyone add a locking diff to a gen3 Sport?

Bonus question: Is 4-wheel less "effective" with stick shift without the locking diff? I haven't utilized 4-wheel in a long time and I remember feathering the breaks can help when a wheel is spinning, but with a stick your left foot is pretty busy haha. Or does ATRAC make the breaking technique no longer necessary?

Extra bonus question: Anyone have a 5-speed Sport that wishes they could switch to an Off-road for the locking diff? Technically I can change my mind and have them re-order me an Off-road model (it'd just take another 6-8 weeks of waiting for that to come in...).

Thanks much. ^_^
Adam

You would need to swap the whole axle out if you want the OEM locker or you can add an ARB (if they make one) to your axle.

ATRAC/ALSD does the braking for you.

I think you mean 6 speed. If you really don't intend to do much wheeling, skip it. You can get through most obstacles without a locker.

Last edited:
Whippersnapper is correct.
Both the manual and the auto are 6spd transmissions.
ARB makes them for the gen3.
Sounds like you won't need the locking diff. The 4x4 capabilities on the Tacoma are great. Put some better tires on it if you find yourself going into 4x4 more. Unless you are looking for trouble you won't need the locker. I'm sure most people are just happy they have a manual not an auto #genturd at this point.

Here are all the specs for what you ordered and what the other models have.
https://www.toyota.com/tacoma/ebrochure

Sorry yes, I meant 6-speed. Last stick I owned was 5-speed heh. Yeah I've been all over the Toyota site building my truck for months eager to get my hands on one. Sport vs. Off-road was a tough choice but I honestly probably will rarely need locking diff, but I do admit I feel a little sheepish for not getting Off-road, just because the Sport is pretty much just cosmetic features whereas the Off-road gives you actual functional upgrades for about the same price...but it will be my daily driver and the visual upgrades will be pretty nice.

Has anyone put an ARB airlocker on a Sport? Any ideas on cost (including labor to have a shop put it on)?

$1700 doesn't seem that steep for something like that. Now just to find a solid offroad shop nearby for future upgrades. I really want stronger front and rear bumpers. With the stick shift in D.C. area traffic, I know I'm bound to tap some dumby behind me after he decided to stop 4 inches from my bumper on a hill. I'd feel better knowing that my bumper will always win.

Do you guys have to drive far for a nearby offroad shop?

Back