How many 3 generation will be still running in 10 yrs?

art

I just sold my 1982 taco 4x4 5 speed 2.2 4 cyl with 350000 miles mostly interstate for $ 5100 .
Only thing replaced 1 clutch 2 used and 1 new transmissions I rebuilt radiator 1 165deg. thermostat
Regular cab.
Most repairs were my fault towing a 28ft. Cabin cruiser in and out of water it did it but not long after I would have problems. 82's were famous for drive problems . (Dumb ass me)
How many 3 generations do you think will be around 10 years not to mention 20 years from now.
I don't know where Toyota was thinking with this new configuration I just don't see it happening EPA .
They are using customer loyalty and prior reliability I think to gain sales.
I have one what a mistake both Toyota for producing junk and me for being so stupid to own one.

Reactions: 4wd
I’m sure they’ll be alright and there will still be quite a few. I’m hoping that it’s just us getting used to them and the kinks getting worked out. There hasn’t been any catastrophic failures yet. Let’s hope their isn’t!

A good friend of mine is a master Toyota tech. We we're talking last week about the 3rd gen Tacoma. He said nothing is wrong with the new trucks just people have to learn their characteristics and they do get better and learn the more u drive..

@kp.taco posted this in another thread. Let’s hope his buddy is right.....

@kp.taco posted this in another thread. Let’s hope his buddy is right.....
Let's hope so.. I still think they could have just done some tweeking with the 2nd gen 4.0 and trans and squeezed out a couple more mpgs... Slap a 3rd gen cab on it and watch the sales roll in!! But it's Toyota.. I'm sure they know what they are doing

Let's hope so.. I still think they could have just done some tweeking with the 2nd gen 4.0 and trans and squeezed out a couple more mpgs... Slap a 3rd gen cab on it and watch the sales roll in!! But it's Toyota.. I'm sure they know what they are doing

I agree, I wish they would’ve reworked the 4.0 liter a little and put it out. But as you said I’m sure they know what they are doing.
All vehicles have some issues. Toyota has always had the least and been the most dependable, in my experience anyway.

I agree, I wish they would’ve reworked the 4.0 liter a little and put it out. But as you said I’m sure they know what they are doing.
All vehicles have some issues. Toyota has always had the least and been the most dependable, in my experience anyway.
Yep I would have to agree. My 09 is my first Toyota truck. My wife is on her third Camry and all we're awesome cars. I worked selling parts for Toyota for a couple years I always liked the Tacoma but couldn't afford one. Then I got a better job and ditched my problematic Chevrolet. My Tacoma is ALMOST paid off too woohoo [emoji1]

I plan on keeping mine for at least the 8 yrs they gave me the warrany for. I have a good feeling it will still be on the road at 10 yrs so you can add one to that list.

My 2017 tacoma will have around 30-40k miles on it in 10 years so I assume the taco will be running like new. Lol
Me too I put about 4-5k miles a year on my truck. It will have 40-50k on it in 10 yrs I’m sure it will just be breaking in by then. I’m hoping to only have 100k in 20 years and sale it for $30k haha.

Some where around one hundred thousand give or take a few!
Edit: that’s per production year as they made over 198,000 in 2017!

Last edited:
Has toyota ever given a reason why they won't bring the hilux to the states or give us a diesel version like they give the other countries

I just sold my 1982 taco 4x4 5 speed 2.2 4 cyl with 350000 miles mostly interstate for $ 5100 .
Only thing replaced 1 clutch 2 used and 1 new transmissions I rebuilt radiator 1 165deg. thermostat
Regular cab.
Most repairs were my fault towing a 28ft. Cabin cruiser in and out of water it did it but not long after I would have problems. 82's were famous for drive problems . (Dumb ass me)
How many 3 generations do you think will be around 10 years not to mention 20 years from now.
I don't know where Toyota was thinking with this new configuration I just don't see it happening EPA .
They are using customer loyalty and prior reliability I think to gain sales.
I have one what a mistake both Toyota for producing junk and me for being so stupid to own one.

You're def not stupid for buying , you just believed based on past ownership experience, I'm the same way but I have stopped buying Tacomas past 1st gen. Nothing against 2nd/3rd gens (well maybe a couple things) Although I love the bells & most the whistles on newer gerns. I don't like all the integration of electronics /devices into the drive train & "drivability" of the trucks...

I still kick myself for letting my '83 get away from me, & you do hit some key points in Toyota's mindset

Back