How many 3 generation will be still running in 10 yrs?

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by art, Jan 1, 2018.

1. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Yes, & it goes like this:

(Toyota corporate) " Um yes , a diesel option for the U.S. is umm well, umm , it should be ,umm, ,,,,how about those Yankees ?"

& there's your answer...sadly...

mcklovin77 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Thibster

Thibster Well-Known Member

Toyota said last week that by 2024, all their models will be electric or hybrid, with a new kind of batteries that will permit to have a bigger charge, meaning the capacity will be higher. Don’t forget that the new 3.5 liter is an Atkinson cycle as in the Prius’s.

4. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Your statement made me think of this in regards to diesel introduction, maybe by Toyota saying that they've come to the conclusion that to introduce diesel now to the U.S. is not a cost productive thing to do seeing by their own admission of having their complete line of cars/trucks being either electric or hybrid, something to consider anyway...

5. Thibster

Yes. It was in an article of LaPresse, a newspaper in Montréal. Here’s the link.

http://auto.lapresse.ca/actualites/...oile-le-plan-delectrification-de-sa-gamme.php

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  6. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

They straight came out and said no but didn’t say why. Probably too expensive to make smog legal.

It would add about 6000 to the purchase price. The Colorado is that much over the V6 and you don’t see too many on the road. I’ve maybe seen one.

Bogunn likes this.
  7. whippersnapper02

Unlike the Prius, the 3.5 can switch from Otto to Atkinson.

8. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

That’s what gives it the lovely feelings.

Bogunn likes this.
  9. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

10. Thibster

Yes no EPA but it seems that diesel is not in the plans of Toyota for North America.

11. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Yes.... that lovely feeling that there are so many threads polluting every forum over. Lol.

OR17TRD likes this.
  12. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Yeah. I will just have to take his word for it too. I’m not too proficient in French. Lol.

13. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I don’t think the sells would justify the investment for them.
    I don’t know a national sales figure on the diesel Colorado but I’ve definitely not seen very many on the road or dealerships keeping many in stock.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  14. OR17TRD

AA013929-E14F-4B77-9895-8F5482D6AF30.jpeg

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  15. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

This is depressing to me. I know the technology is more efficient but the thoughts of owning a hybrid makes me shudder.

Crawdad likes this.
  16. OR17TRD

Just take the badge off you’ll be fine.

Bogunn likes this.
  17. Thibster

Yup!!

OR17TRD likes this.
  18. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

That’ll work I guess.

OR17TRD likes this.
  19. LOKi

LOKi Member

I imagine diesels don't sell that well in Canada. Diesels are temperamental in cold weather. Yea you can plug in your block heater at home but when you go out to dinner it's nice to have a truck that will start when you are ready to go home. I'm sure modern diesels are much better at cold starts but the stigma of those old diesels is hard to shake.

Bogunn likes this.
  20. whippersnapper02

I’m sure the GM fanboys cried for a V8 Colorado until they finally made it. They didn’t sell because they were pricey and GM downrated the power to 300 horse.

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  21. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Very true. The 300hp was a big improvement but they really didn’t sell like they were expecting. The same crappy interior design didn’t help. It seemed like a last ditch effort at making the Colorado/Canyon sell. Another classic example of Big 3 flub ups in the last decade.
    I will give GM that they did their homework on the new body style. The 3.6 liter with 308hp is pretty stout and they’ve had relatively few recalls and problems (a rarity for modern GM).

OR17TRD and whippersnapper02 like this.