How would you redesign the next Tacoma?

Nathan

Admin
Staff member
All signs point to a new/redesigned Tacoma in 2015. That may or may not happen but either way, how would you redesign it if you had a say?

Bigger, Smaller, engines, design, features, options, etc...

Let's here it.

Wider wheels wells. And a bigger engine. If the F150 eco boost can run a twin turbo V6, then the Tacoma should be able to compete. And a crew cab model with a full size bed.

Size on the second gen is good. Maybe a bit more power, although the current V6 is adequate. Everyone is crying for a diesel, but I highly doubt that will happen. And more available options would be nice to make a limo 4x4 if you want.

Maybe a turbo 4-banger to get better miles per gallon. Heated outside mirrors, better seats,loose the stock Dunlop tires already!

I would just improve MPGs and if you get a bit more power doing it then so be it. Power and capacity are more than fine for it's class. Overall size is just right. Get a full size if you need more power, capacity or room. People don't realize that the Tacoma is a mid size and not a full size.

I just think with so many new vehicles improving on mpg's and trucks being forced to, at least the full size market, I think they should and will do something to pick up the mpg's. That may not be in 2015 but when ever the next major redesign comes.

I'd add a sunroof option!

I would like to see a wider wheel base with a wider body, but that would make it a tundra. I think a collapsible/lockable bed rack integrated in the bed rails would be pretty useful. I would love to have the ability to throw up a bed rack if I have to transport a ladder or lumber on short notice. Ram has the bed rail storage, so I think toyota has enough great minds to create something like this.

Last edited:
smaller

dual VVTI

offroad with actual offroad stuff, not only a locker.

stronger rear diff

bates style cv boots

rear diff breather extension

the size is good. i would not want it any bigger.

give it a new engine, better MPG. also have heated mirrors out side, and a tow mirror option like the tundra style tow mirrors. wheel wells are big enough IMO. and like cody said a real off road package with more then just the locker and sheet mettle skids. and on modles even 2wd, extend the rear diff breather, if not on the 2wd do all the 4wd, they do the front diff but not the rear.

the bed size is good and i have the SB,i like the bed rail system for towing stuff down. i would like some real tie downs in the front like they have in the rear.

thats about all i can think of. i think the 2nd gen is really great as it is right now. and like whipper said, you want/need more space and bigger bed get a full size, it is a mid size truck. also a lot of the little stuff like heated mirrors are all ready on the tundra, and other full size trucks. dual climate control is on them as well.

the size is good. i would not want it any bigger.

give it a new engine, better MPG. also have heated mirrors out side, and a tow mirror option like the tundra style tow mirrors. wheel wells are big enough IMO. and like cody said a real off road package with more then just the locker and sheet mettle skids. and on modles even 2wd, extend the rear diff breather, if not on the 2wd do all the 4wd, they do the front diff but not the rear.

the bed size is good and i have the SB,i like the bed rail system for towing stuff down. i would like some real tie downs in the front like they have in the rear.

thats about all i can think of. i think the 2nd gen is really great as it is right now. and like whipper said, you want/need more space and bigger bed get a full size, it is a mid size truck. also a lot of the little stuff like heated mirrors are all ready on the tundra, and other full size trucks. dual climate control is on them as well.

I say don't mess with a good thing. So, if Toyota were to listen to me, I would ask to keep their focus on the Mid-size market with the Tacoma model. Add more function to what has proven to function well.
Like when they added storage spaces to otherwise unusable cavities, add flat tray spaces on the dash for portable devices. Add USB power outlets.
Wow! I cannot think of anything else.

2016 Tacoma and Tundra will be coming with Cummins engines.... Imma start saving up now cause that is going to be badass!!!

So you're saying the president of Cummins is lying? Haha.
I know that's a Hilux and the Tacoma won't be designed after that....

Back