Icy roads

Just drive normally for the slippery conditions. I was in Flagstaff over the weekend and never needed 4wd for the snow. Ice is a different animal but still no need for anything special unless you have forward traction issues.

I disagree. If your driving on solid snow or ice leave it in 4x4. If the snow covering is spotty or just light slush leave it in 4x2. In either case adjust your speed appropriately.

Weight in the bed is a good idea.

Snow/ice covered roads 4x4 High. I prefer to disable traction control in this specific condition due to where i live being hilly and dont like traction control putting the brakes on when i slip causing me to get stuck. If patchy snow/ice 4x4 High with traction control on is best. If severe snow like 12 inches down may need 4x4 Low with MTS is snow setting and if you get stuck lock the rear diff and/or use crawl control to get unstuck.

Yeah I'd say the biggest thing is to go SLOW. I always use 4h when driving in snow and ice, but like whipper said it won't help you stop or turn

Frame out a box out of 2x6 to put in ur bed. Make it so that the front and rear boards r long enough to span from one side of the bed to the other and the side boards just long enough to get the end pieces to either side of the wheel wells. Then load ur weight in the box. Keeps ur weight over the wheels (where u want it), keeps it from sliding, and also gives u a nice area in the back to put 5 gallon buckets of road salt just in case. As far as driving tips on ice...dont do it if u dnt have to. Even with chains or studded tires ice sux! no matter what.

I'd strongly advise driving slowly (at first) to the nearest beach. :eek: As a guy who has lived in Alaska and other snowy places for decades, the caution of driving slowly is foremost. Don't be a ditch diver. The stock Michelin LTX tires on my 2017 Tacoma Limited have provided excellent traction - very happy with them. I carry 240 pounds of sand bags tied to the loops at the rear of the truck to balance my snow plow. I engage 4WD Hi when on icy spots and snow covered highways. That's what it's there for. Ya paid for it, ya may as well use it!

plow-1.jpg

I'd strongly advise driving slowly (at first) to the nearest beach. :eek: As a guy who has lived in Alaska and other snowy places for decades, the caution of driving slowly is foremost. Don't be a ditch diver. The stock Michelin LTX tires on my 2017 Tacoma Limited have provided excellent traction - very happy with them. I carry 240 pounds of sand bags tied to the loops at the rear of the truck to balance my snow plow. I engage 4WD Hi when on icy spots and snow covered highways. That's what it's there for. Ya paid for it, ya may as well use it!

View attachment 10682

Does your truck go into 4 hi immediately? The snow usually causes a delay in my transfer case when shifting into 4 hi.

I have a 2007 Tacoma 2WD and have no problem on ice or snow. Driving slow and watching for dumbass people is the main thing.

I run BFG KO2's & weight in my bed.

3 winters in Flagstaff, Arizona so far and have never got stuck.

Look guys drive fast in the snow ok! The faster you go the faster you get there! If you are not first your last so **** the plowing because we don't need a clear road all we need is a tacoma!

Select 4wd high while moving in a stright line. Also let off the throttle a bit to make the shift easier.

I run into problems when the snow becomes patchy on the streets. Most pavement will be too dry to keep 4 hi engaged, but then I may come up to an intersection where the snow is piled up from the plows. I'll switch into 4 hi as I roll to the stop sign/stop light, come to a stop, and then slowly start moving forward. By the time 4wd engages I've already slid and spun my way through the snow piled intersection. This doesn't happen every time, but enough to annoy me. Of course, if I take it to the dealer I'll just get the famous "we couldn't recreate the problem".

I run into problems when the snow becomes patchy on the streets. Most pavement will be too dry to keep 4 hi engaged, but then I may come up to an intersection where the snow is piled up from the plows. I'll switch into 4 hi as I roll to the stop sign/stop light, come to a stop, and then slowly start moving forward. By the time 4wd engages I've already slid and spun my way through the snow piled intersection. This doesn't happen every time, but enough to annoy me. Of course, if I take it to the dealer I'll just get the famous "we couldn't recreate the problem".

Lol! I've been there myself. Went up to the mountains with a friend to have some fun. I was sliding around in 2wd and got stuck. When I tried for 4wd, all I got was a flashing light. Luckily one tire was still on concrete so ALSD was able to get me out. Oh and 4wd went in after I was free. I've learned to engage it before I need it. It's just the nature of the beast.

Back