If someone GAVE you a Rough Rider 3" spacer lift (FREE) would you install it?

If I were you and I didn't have a lift on my truck, I would use the spacers until I could afford some Bilstien 5100's. I would use the spacers as long as i had a way of lifting the rear too, and my opinion is based on you having a 4WD Tacoma. YMMV

I've run my 5100's preloaded and I gotta say they run ROUGH! Just as rough as a revtech or toytech kit. To me it was just to get me by until I got my OME's. For free I'd say yes.

ae111black, I have to agree with you on the price. Free is hard to beat! And since this truck never goes offroad, maybe I'll go ahead and do it.

Thats what i run im happy with it but i also dont race in the desert or rock crawl my truck just lots of Mud don't knock it if it doesn't fit your needs if you just want your truck hire to get big tires under it an your budgets short this is the way to go don't expect to be able to articulate your axles more than stock because you're still runnin your stock shocks/struts it's been a very good product for me and I have tested it very hard

The picture included is why I wouldn't run a spacer lift of any kind. 5100s are cheap. Even if didn't wheel I would go for 5100s. On a budget? Don't lift.

Attachments

• 1371445967290.jpg
    1371445967290.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 80
Thats what i run im happy with it but i also dont race in the desert or rock crawl my truck just lots of Mud don't knock it if it doesn't fit your needs if you just want your truck hire to get big tires under it an your budgets short this is the way to go don't expect to be able to articulate your axles more than stock because you're still runnin your stock shocks/struts it's been a very good product for me and I have tested it very hard

+1^^^^^^^^this. I also don't race thru deserts, or crawl my truck up rocks. And I also have spacers up front which have NEVER gave me any problems. For the light duty back roaring they shoot just fine, for now. Just until next month when I get my 5100's...

But I would probably listen to the guys that know. Their saying don't use them, then I wouldn't. Which leads me to taking off my spacers until my 5100's come in. Or maybe I'll just leave it alone and take it real easy on my truck just until my hometowns get here..

Let us know what you decided..

Last edited:
That picture above looks like it may have an interesting story to go with it. I am betting that someone went airborne and came down on it to hard/fast putting it into a bind.

The bump stops would have prevented the shock from bottoming out but since the shock was pushed down it bottomed out before the bump stops touched.

that's not caused by a spacer lift that's caused by extreme and I repeat extreme abuse and I repeat Bow and Luke Duke style I've been in the automotive industry long enough to know what it takes to do that

That was caused by the spacer. Same thing happened to one of the TW guys at a Cleghorn meet. He came down hard and it bent like that. The spacer brings the whole coilover down which causes it to bottom out before the lower control arm hits the bump stop. If the spacer wasn't there the bump stop would have worked properly. Yes if you hit hard enough you will cause damage no matter what but the spacer makes it easier to break crap. No one will ever learn though. 30K truck and they put a cheap lift on it. I'll never understand.

Last edited:
But he "came down hard on it" im not sayin this is the best way all im sayin is he should have went a different route if he was going to playin that hard for the mud runners and drivers they work just fine i have 4k+ miles on my kit and play hard in it again pick your kits for what you do in it

Back