Instability

jdr3366

I'm running Kumho Crugen HT51 265/65R17 112T BSW. I notice that crossing over the bump where the ramp concrete meets the black top merging right onto the highway there is loss of stability with the truck bumping left at the point where the two surfaces meet.

I don't remember that with the original equipment Toyo All Country of the same size.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Is it a lack of strength in the side wall or a common thing with Tacoma that I never noticed before?

I'm running Kumho Crugen HT51 265/65R17 112T BSW. I notice that crossing over the bump where the ramp concrete meets the black top merging right onto the highway there is loss of stability with the truck bumping left at the point where the two surfaces meet.

I don't remember that with the original equipment Toyo All Country of the same size.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Is it a lack of strength in the side wall or a common thing with Tacoma that I never noticed before?

Check your tire pressure. Too high of a pressure will increase bump steer. With that size it should be at 32 psi or whatever is recommended on door frame sticker since the size is close to OEM.

I'm running 36 psi. When I get a chance I'll reduce to 34 and then, if necessary, to 32 psi.

I haven't noticed any difference in the rain, although I am a conservative driver driving a conservative tire.
The reason I said this is because I went and bought a set of Tacoma Limited wheels with Michelin tires. It was raining yesterday and I could tell a big difference between the factory Goodyear wranglers and Michelin's when coming to a stop, I could feel the Michelin tires slipping and the Goodyear's never did that. The Goodyear's definitely felt much more stable and secure in wet weather.

IMG_0929.JPG

Your truck is so cool!

Good Year better than Michelin in the rain. Seems I've read that at Tire Rack.
Seriously, because I was kind of surprised, I always thought Michelin was one of the best but in this case I know Goodyear Wrangler has it beat in the wet weather, the Michelin's I have are like highway tires which is what I wanted on this set of rims and then keep my factory wheels with all terrain tires or mud tires. I believe the achilles' heel for the Michelin tires is the weight of the truck.

Last edited:
So, I just dropped it from 36 to 35 psi. Not much, but today it felt like that bump was worse. Instead of just bouncing once to the left, the truck bounced several times.

I'll go down again tomorrow, but not enthusiastic about the results.

I had kumho at on my truck they are **** ! . I had them taken off with 65percent left . They suck in the rain so bad I didn’t feel safe . Replace them with brigestone revo 3 A/T they are awesome I would recommend them

I recently had Cooper Discover AT3 XLT tires put on four of the company pickup trucks, myself, and employees are really impressed so far.

I've got Kumho. Overall happy.

But I find the truck "bumps" to the side when going over raised seam where the entrance concrete meets the highway blacktop.

For what it's worth Consumer Reports rates them as the best economy tires.

I wonder how many of their employees at CR own a truck. They know nothing about Tacoma.o_O

Back