Installing Bilstein 5100 and AAL

Considering doing the install myself. I have all the tools, except floor jack and stands (planning on purchasing). I’m pretty novice when it comes to cars. I put in my own Trd skid plate and other things, but never really messed with suspension. Given this info, wondering level of effort or degree of difficulty to do this on my own? Nearby shop wanted $500 install.

Considering doing the install myself. I have all the tools, except floor jack and stands (planning on purchasing). I’m pretty novice when it comes to cars. I put in my own Trd skid plate and other things, but never really messed with suspension. Given this info, wondering level of effort or degree of difficulty to do this on my own? Nearby shop wanted $500 install.
I just installed coilovers, UCA's, leaf packs and rear shocks yesterday in my garage in about 6 hrs. with several beer/ bong breaks. Lol. Nothing to it. It took me longer to clean out and organize the garage the day before. Lots of knowledgeable people on here to answer any questions. Somebody will probably answer quickly to any questions you may have. Def get a good floor jack, the bigger one, like you see at tire shops, and bigger HD jack stands.

Another helpful hint, if you are uncomfortable tackling the lift install,... leave 1 side together until you finish the other side so you can reference. Removing the sway bar completely helps a lot also. If you aren't going with aftermarket springs, I recommend reinstalling the sway bar though.

Last edited:
I think the struts won’t be too bad. The leaf pack is what might be tricky I think. I’m doing a wheelers aal. Basically replacement of the entire leaf. Not a add a leaf.

I think the struts won’t be too bad. The leaf pack is what might be tricky I think. I’m doing a wheelers aal. Basically replacement of the entire leaf. Not a add a leaf.
So a progressive add-a-leaf? Not hard either. They give you new tie bolts, you'll just need a couple C-clamps to get it smashed back together. Be sure to torque everything back to spec. I like to cut the tie bolt off about 1/4" above the nut AFTER it's torqued down and beat it with a BFH to mushroom the top so it'll never get loose.

Your contradicting yourself.
Are you doing an aal, or an aal?
Single aal/progressive aal is still an aal

Or are you replacing the entire leafpack?

Just throw a part # here

Hah. Sorry I went back and forth so much AAL/progressive that I forgot what I ordered. I order 5100 with OME 887. Deaver single leaf. Basically the package from HeadStrong.

IMG_1532628249.188054.jpg here you go. The leaf is not in the pic. But it’s a single. It’s on the way. Don’t have it in possession yet. I am leaning toward doing it myself. I’m sure it will be frustrating (at times) but I will learn a lot.

Read the instructions and make sure u have the aal in correct.

I cant recall for sure, but i think the longer end goes towards the rear of the truck and shorter end faces forward.
Figure it out, and then mark the bottom with a crayon... makes it easy when its time to install.

Read the instructions and make sure u have the aal in correct.

I cant recall for sure, but i think the longer end goes towards the rear of the truck and shorter end faces forward.
Figure it out, and then mark the bottom with a crayon... makes it easy when its time to install.
Never used the single aal but with the leaf packs I just installed, and all other rear axle leaf packs I've messed with, the longer side from the tie bolt goes toward the front of the vehicle. I would think the single aal would follow suit? Like I said, never installed a single aal.

Never used the single aal but with the leaf packs I just installed, and all other rear axle leaf packs I've messed with, the longer side from the tie bolt goes toward the front of the vehicle. I would think the single aal would follow suit? Like I said, never installed a single aal.

As i said, "read instructions as i cannot recall"?
So between 2 of us pissing in the wind, 1 is hitting their mark and the other is making a yellow rainbow.

Its for the op to finger out which side of the skittles bag hes gunna be on, upwind or downwind :)

Last edited:
As i said, "read instructions as i cannot recall"?
So between 2 of us pissing in the wind, 1 is hitting their mark and the other is making a yellow rainbow.

Its for the op to finger out which side of the skittles bag hes gunna be on :)
I want to piss into the wind :(

Nice to see my memory was right from my last install... this was the icon progressive aal. Different, but atleast my hat warmer retained some info.
Pdf instructions below
Step 6

Attachments

• I51100_REVA (1).pdf
    296 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back