Interior smell

Cape taco

Does your taco get a swampy cat pee smell if it rains for a few days its not the cabin filter and I don't have plugged sunroof drains ? My tundra did the same thing for years . And I water tested nuthing leaking under dash .

Last edited:
Cloth floor mats?
Mine would stink when it rained. I think they wicked water off my boots/shoes when id get in after walking thru the rain. The smell would go away when things got warmer.
Then as soon as the next rain, it came back.
I bought weathertech floor liners, threw away the stock mats, and now that mildew smell never comes back.

I did try washing the oem carpet mats 3 times.... but the smell stayed.

Ymmv

Also turn your ac off and turn the temp to a higher setting to get all the moisture from the vents just before shutdown

Maybe I'll drag the dehumidifier out of the basement and let it run on there overnite lol! Thanx and yes its got the factory rubber mats .ill check the 3 brake lite tommorow .

It’s likely from the default ac setting of interior recirculation when you turn on your air.

I always switch my recirculate (default on) to off to allow outside air to vent in otherwise the trapped moisture from recirculating eventually causes mold and mildew to grow.

No real way to clean those lines out other than drying them out with full heat. Once you rid the system of that keep an eye on your recirculate feature to minimize it. Should only really use it when you need ice cool air when you initially start your car, then switch it off after a few min.

Yeah but they arent good for the lungs... then again, if ur smoking....

Ozone isn’t good to breathe. Careful on how much it produces and how much ventilation there is.

Ozone generators take away most smells. I use one in my house, and used it in a car to kill cigarette smell. They cost about $300 for a good one.

With decent ventilation you might be alright, but for the cost associated and risks taken it probably isn’t worth the chance....

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

Back